Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Thanksgiving with the BGE

Options
Chicago Wine Geek
Chicago Wine Geek Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This will be my first turkey on the BGE. Bunch of people coming over, so I want this to be perfect. I've got a 16-18 pounder on order. Before I got the the usual sites for instructions, anyone here have any tips/tricks? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Chicago Wine Geek,
    Call MadMax .. I think he even has a Hotline on T-giving.[p]Eggcellent advice.[p]Doug

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    i inject "Birdseye" brand chicken broth into all the meaty areas, rub the seasoning (your favorite rub) under the skin & some on top of the skin, after rubbing the outside with olive oil.
    Cook @ 300F indirect, using a plate setter with legs up, aluminum lined drip pan on the plate setter, grid on top of the legs, then the Turkey. Use maple or apple wood chips that have been layed on the edges of the lump. Allow the fire to get established before putting on the Turkey. close the lid & DON'T open it till internal temperature on your remote thermometer reads 180F ( inserted into the thigh without touching any bone) or 170F in the breast area.

your turkey will be juicy & ready for carving after 15-20min resting time.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Chicago Wine Geek,
    Here is a link to Mad Max's Turkey and Gravy recipe posted on the Naked Whiz's web site.[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

[ul][li]Mad Max's Turkey and Gravy[/ul]
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    if you like honeybaked ham, you could also use this option if you have a blowtorch

see my recipe at: http://www.biggreenegg.net/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=104&func=detail&id=301
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi wrote:
    i inject "Birdseye" brand chicken broth into all the meaty areas, rub the seasoning (your favorite rub) under the skin & some on top of the skin, after rubbing the outside with olive oil.
    Cook @ 300F indirect, using a plate setter with legs up, aluminum lined drip pan on the plate setter, grid on top of the legs, then the Turkey. Use maple or apple wood chips that have been layed on the edges of the lump. Allow the fire to get established before putting on the Turkey. close the lid & DON'T open it till internal temperature on your remote thermometer reads 180F ( inserted into the thigh without touching any bone) or 170F in the breast area.

your turkey will be juicy & ready for carving after 15-20min resting time.

Ballpark time for a 17 pounder? 3-4 hours?

Also, can I just lay the turkey on the grid, or do I need a vertical rack/holder?

Thanks.
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]How does one contact Mad Max?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Chicago Wine Geek,
    simply call out for me here on the forum, or email me at max@mitre.org. ..[p]as we get closer to thanksgiving i'll be posting the hotline phone number. ..[p]in the meantime, here is the link to the turkey method

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Chicago Wine Geek,[p]My advice, in addition to calling Max, is to cook a couple turkeys between now and the big event. If you're going to screw up, do it now. If you happen to perfect things between now and Thanksgiving, call Max anyway. He's a great dude to chat with![p]Later,
    Cornfed