Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

one down, two to go

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Momma kat brought home three 3.5-4.0 pound boneless round rump roasts as they looked good and "beefy"! In her opinion between some marinade connoction and the BGE I can tenderize shoe leather (do I have her fooled or what?) Well, I looked for a recipe for this cut, but found nothing, so I settled on the Tri-Tip approach. I even let it sit for 48 hours in the marinade instead of the 24 and then 24 in the rub instead of 12...thinking the extra time should do the trick. I followed the Tri-Tip directions and pulled it off when polder reached 135. Bottom line...it was a piece of over cooked still tough meat. I hate to waste so much food, but we won't revisit that thing again and garbage pickup is Friday so bye bye roast. My question then is what do I do with the remaining 8 pounds of meat? Any recipes out there, gang? Thanks in advance. ^oo^~

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    one feral kat asks, "My question then is what do I do with the remaining 8 pounds of meat? Any recipes out
    there, gang?"[p]Got a dog? My girl Blitz is very happy to take care of scraps and failures for me. :)

• Fingers
    Fingers Posts: 37
    Options
    one feral kat, You can always sliceit thin and make jerky. GFW has a good recipe and method see his web page
    Fingers

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Round is a pretty lean cut of meat. However you might try your marinade thing with it and do it low and slow like a brisket and see if you still have your shoe leather. One other way might be to 'lard' it like they used to do - using a larding needle to insert strips of fat into the meat. If you do have any success let us know.
    JimW

• g-o
    g-o Posts: 39
    Options
    one feral kat, Take em back and exchange em or go with the jerky. Momma needs advice on what NOT to buy. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • g-o
    g-o Posts: 39
    Options
    one feral kat, Darn it! I almost forgot. You can always cut that meat up in chunks, plop it in the pressure cooker for about 20 min. - add some veg., cook a little more and have you a stew. Later.

• SpiceCooks
    SpiceCooks Posts: 80
    Options
    one feral kat,
    If you will give me your email address, I will email you a recipe that never fails for us. You can try it.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Is it too late..thats one nice chunk of meat and salvagable.
    We did a "Back to Basics" cook a few weeks ago and two rump roasts were selected. Great eating!
    Chowser..C~W[p]