Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much prime rib should I estimate per person?

Options
Hi All,

Christmas day I plan to cook a prime rib (either standing rib roast or a boneless rib roast - - haven't decided yet).  We have 13 adults plus 4-5 children who will likely eat some prime rib.  In addition, I am frying a 12 lb. turkey.  So, I am guessing people will pick a bit of each. That said, anybody have some good guidelines in terms of how much red meat I should buy?  The butcher says "1 bone per two people" and obviously this isn't considering the turkey or the kids, or if I go boneless. Thanks in advance for your help.  
Indianapolis, Indiana.  Go Colts & Hoosiers!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    1/2 to 3/4 lb/person, so your butcher is right on target.

Perhaps 6 or 7lbs?
  • Kortneys
    Options
    @eggcelsior thanks! So if I get a standing rib roast, approximately what total weight should I purchase to yield 6-7 lbs of meat?
    Indianapolis, Indiana.  Go Colts & Hoosiers!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    $100 if meat is on sale for under $7 per pound. Just bought a 5 rib for $75. I don't know the weight - I just buy by the rib and get the first through the fifth rib.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    @ GrannyX4 Actually the primal rib section consists of 7 ribs. Ribs 6 thru 12, Rib 12 is closest to the short loin and rib 6 is closest to the chuck. A good choice for a 5 rib roast would be ribs 8 thru 12. If you like more of a ribeye look, then start with rib 6.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This is just one recommendation:http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/12/fire-roasted-beef-rib-roast-20-tips.html

I was just searching and came across this from @NibbleMeThis.  It seems like a good guideline to me. 

3/4 lbs per person if bone in, 1/2 lb per person if boneless.  Since you are cooking other food perhaps you could go a little lower and just slice serve thinner slices.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    billyray said:
    @ GrannyX4 Actually the primal rib section consists of 7 ribs. Ribs 6 thru 12, Rib 12 is closest to the short loin and rib 6 is closest to the chuck. A good choice for a 5 rib roast would be ribs 8 thru 12. If you like more of a ribeye look, then start with rib 6.

Boy did I get some bad information today orrrrrrr I totally misunderstood. Yes I got the end that most looks like a rib eye. Thanks for correcting my mistake. When I go back to pick up the next 2 roasts I will have them show me the cow and explain it all to me again.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Little Steven
    Options
    That seems like a lot of meat to me when combined with the turkey. Nothing wrong with turkey or prime rib leftovers though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON