Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking advice

Options
Im not getting that egg flavor out of my LG BGE. Ive had it for a little over a year and cook on it frequently. But i dont think i am doing something right, ive never been able to achieve that great egg flavor that hooked me in. So about how i cook. usually fill my fire box up about halfway, bottom vent is open about 1" maybe a tick more, and i close the top all the way then crack the daisy vent about halfway or so. if i do anymore i cant maintain a temp over 350. and even when i close it as described here i can only achieve a max temp of maybe 400 and thats pushing it. Am i not letting the charcoal burn long enough prior to closing my vents off? BTW i only or prefer to use the BGE coal? PLease help a fella Egger

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Are all of your vents cleaned out? I would check that if you haven't already. Better air flow equals more control and a better fire.

Also, When you light the egg... do you leave all the vents open, then start closing them after you are close to your target temp?

I wouldn't worry so much about the exact DW positions and the vent opening. It could very well be different from cook to cook. Each fire will burn differently.

Best rule I can tell you is:

More air = Hotter Fire
    Less air = Cooler Fire
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    Okay to me it sounds like a air flow problem 1st question is when was the last time you cleaned out the ash that being said I would break down you egg and take a shop vac and completely clean out the inside including the wholes in the fire box then reassemble  and start over I'm almost positive that will solve your problem I hope this helps 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    I actually never use the Daisy Wheel unless I am doing low and slow (below 300). I just close off most of the bottom vent and fly free on the top.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If you're trying to cook low only light one or two spots. Give the egg time to get there..don't rush it. If wanting to cook higher..I'm 2 at the bottom and 1 at the top. I don't use the petals unless I'm going under 225. Above all...creep the egg up. Too hot takes a long time to bring it back down.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pjs883
    pjs883 Posts: 15
    Options
    awesome guys thanks for the help ill make sure all my vents are good and cleaned out.