Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spiral ham and potatoes in the COLD

Options
I am determined to Egg all winter - because I can.  About 15 degrees today.

I have had a spiral cut ham for several days, today is the first day my schedule has permitted a cook.  Fired up the egg with maple and pear wood for smoke, it took about 40 minutes for the white smoke to clear.  Potatoes, peppers, and onions on the side in a small DO.  Dinner at 6:15, should be good!
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Looks great!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Do you baste your ham with anything?  I plan to do my first Egged ham for Christmas.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm planning on cooking a ham this weekend too. Yours is already looking good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options

Do you baste your ham with anything?  I plan to do my first Egged ham for Christmas.

Per @Mickey I cooked it "naked"
    Delicious
    Rochester, NY
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Mickey said:

Very good.

Mickey is like Darth Sidious with his naked hams.

"Let the hate for glaze flow through you... Good... Good!"
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Have not done a spiral on the egg yet, lots of bone in's though. Looks great.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Aren't spiral-cut hams already cooked?  Hope you "heated" it, not "cooked" it.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Cookinbob
    Options
    Botch said:

Aren't spiral-cut hams already cooked?  Hope you "heated" it, not "cooked" it.  

Heated only. 90 min @ 350 dome, 325 grate.

Rochester, NY
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Just curious as to what the IT was after 90mins?? Thinking of doin a spiral and didn't know if the heat faster than a regular ham.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Just curious as to what the IT was after 90mins?? Thinking of doin a spiral and didn't know if the heat faster than a regular ham.
    I did not measure the IT.  Instructions on the ham said 10-12 min per lb @ 325, this was about 8 lbs, so I went with 90 minutes.  It looked and tasted right to me.  Besides, I will eat most of it cold in sandwiches anyways.  Got a great bone for some future bean soup!
    Rochester, NY
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I bet that was a good dinner. Looks great. Makes me want to do another one soon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    I sound like a parrot, we have low tolerance for salt.  We shy away from ham because we generally find it too salty. Just saw this recipe recently, it stipulates boiling the ham in vinegar for 15 minutes to extract salt, what do you folks think?
    canuckland
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Some hams are saltier than others.  I received a very expensive Virginia ham as a gift once and we could not eat it.  This one was a Smithfield brand bought at BJ's, it was not overly salty. Unfortunately you often don't know until you taste it though.   I would just try to find a brand that agreed with my taste.  I have always been pleased with hams from BJ's, and they have the best price to boot.

I will be eating a ham sandwich for lunch, and maybe Mac & Cheese with ham for dinner!
    Rochester, NY
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    ...  I received a very expensive Virginia ham as a gift once and we could not eat it...
    brings back bitter (salty rather) memory, eons ago when we didn't know better, we bought a hunk of Virginia ham for $45 when touring the US Northeast ... it ended up in the trash too, what a shame on us  :\">
    canuckland
  • cbr0011
    Options

The spiral ham, is it already smoked a bit?  Do you put any kind of glaze on it?  Think about doing one.  Thanks 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The number one rated ham is Cooks. This by Cooks Illustrated.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Cookinbob
    Options
    cbr0011 said:

The spiral ham, is it already smoked a bit?  Do you put any kind of glaze on it?  Think about doing one.  Thanks 

It is supposedly smoked a bit, I added smoke wood, it tastes delicious, and not too smoky.  Per my earlier post, I did not use a glaze though one was provided with the ham.  Cooked it "naked", cut side down on the grate.  Just the normal drip pan beneath - could not have been much easier.
    Rochester, NY
  • Botch
    Options
    Ouch!  I'm pretty sure some overly-salty hams are meant to be soaked in a couple changes of cold water, first.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Options
    Oh, and Cookin Bob: I just put an Italian Beef out on my Egg after work tonight, and it's 19, gotta love that thick-walled ceramic!
    It seems like my Egg actually came up to temperature quicker than usual, too; don't know if that's because the cooler air is more dense, or its just my imagination.  

• Cookinbob
    Options
    Botch said:
    Oh, and Cookin Bob: I just put an Italian Beef out on my Egg after work tonight, and it's 19, gotta love that thick-walled ceramic!

Never done Italian beef.  Do you pull and serve with marinara or what?

I have to do a 10 lb butt tomorrow.  The high and low temp are 20 F, and we are to pick up 6 to 10 inches through Sunday.  Not a fun day for a cook.  I am cooking this one for a holiday party we are hosting Sunday eve.  Church commitments early Sunday prevent me from cooking on Sunday, so have to do the day ahead. I will get up and get the fire going early - don't want to leave this one alone for too long.  Wondering if the maverick will even work when it is so cold outside??
    Rochester, NY
  • Botch
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Cookinbob said:  Never done Italian beef.  Do you pull and serve with marinara or what?  I have to do a 10 lb butt tomorrow.  The high and low temp are 20 F, and we are to pick up 6 to 10 inches through Sunday.  Not a fun day for a cook.  I am cooking this one for a holiday party we are hosting Sunday eve.  Church commitments early Sunday prevent me from cooking on Sunday, so have to do the day ahead. I will get up and get the fire going early - don't want to leave this one alone for too long.  Wondering if the maverick will even work when it is so cold outside??  

This is my first Italian Beef, based on another thread a page or two ago.  Basically a top sirloin or top round is cooked only to about 130 (I overshot to 135), refrigerated to firm it up, and then very thinly sliced (Santa just brought me a new electric slicer!).  The slices are then heated very briefly in an au jus cooked under the beef, based on a weak broth or beef bouillon, then the rare, hot, wet slices are piled onto a good sliced high-gluten roll (I didn't even try to ask the teenager behind the bakery counter for something "high-gluten", I just guessed and picked up some Kaiser rolls).  It can be topped with horseradish or a spicy pickled veggie spread (I made a batch from scratch).  Anxious to try it tomorrow, it smelled wonderful cooling on the counter tonight!  

Don't sweat the 10-lb butt cook this weekend, especially if you have a Maverick; once your egg is  stabilized it shouldn't require much tending at all.  Mount the maverick transmitter somewhere close to the Egg so the heat keeps it warm (I used my Poulder tonight, no problems even with a light snow).