Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - shun knife sharpening

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
I have had my Shun Knives (chefs & paring) for just over 1 year now and I would like to get them sharpened.  I did some research on this forum about sharpening options, and determined I am not interested in doing this myself.  I would like to get it done by professional.  I called SHUN and learned they started doing their free sharpening again, but it is on the owner to pay for shipping and it takes 2-3 weeks to complete the sharpening.  

Before I fill out these forms and go to UPS - does anybody have other options to share?  Thank you in advance.  
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The William sanoma by me has a guy that comes in on Tuesdays and then drops them off the next Tuesday for $6 it $8 a knife. All google will probably find someone local to you.
  • Google knife sharpener in your town. There are usually several. Some are mobile (ours comes to our farmers market every Sunday and they have a shop. Others do events like lit says (our kitchen shop has one come in once a month). They are out there. you don't need to wait 3-4 weeks and pay freight. 

We have 5 listed in Austin so if you live in a city or near one, you should be able to find one pretty easily. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Ok thanks - good to hear you can trust others, or in other words, good to hear that the SHUN factory is not uniquely qualified for the resharp.  

I just called William Sonoma and they do wusthof sharpening but not shuns.   will dig into local resources a little more. 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • There is nothing magic about a shun blade. I do my shun chef's knife myself with a 2 sided Wustof stone (400 and 1000). Works like a champ. I did just upgrade to the ken Onion Work Sharp (I have the Shun Ken Onion Chef's Knife too but that really doesn't matter) but I have to wait for Christmas to use it. I can't wait.

I don't think there is any reason to be intimidated about sharpening your own and certainly not with a pro in your town. 

Here is the work sharp- it's cool:

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Considering the lengths my darling wife has gone to dull our Shun knives, I didn't hesitate to try sharpening them on my own.  I've done them on the stone and with the Shun electric sharpener.  The electric is okay in a pinch.  If i have the time i prefer the stone.
  • Lit
    Yes sharpening is easy. You can buy a king 1000/6000 stone for $50 and watch the numerous videos on chefknivestogo.com and it takes like 5 minutes a knife tops. Also you can use the 6000 grit once a month or so to keep them sharp and will only have to sharpen once a year or so.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    i use the stone that lit mentioned, if you learn how to sharpen a knife correctly you will never be satisfied with having others do it. 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wicked edge kit .....cant screw it up 
    Beaufort, SC
  • We use the Wustof two sided stone as well. It works really well.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 321
    http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/91010-chefschoice-120-knife-sharpener.aspx

Make sure you get the one for Japanese Knives as they are beveled differently.  Run them when ever you need them.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CP92 said:
    http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/91010-chefschoice-120-knife-sharpener.aspx

Make sure you get the one for Japanese Knives as they are beveled differently.  Run them when ever you need them.
    These are good but will only work to hone a good edge that has gone a bit dull. Once you have lost your edge, you will need to use a stone or other abrasive to reset the edge. Then you can use something like this to keep it sharp for daily use. 
  • CP92
    Supposedly (and when I used it mine were in pretty bad shape) the coarsest setting is good for laying a bevel back down.  But, I definitely defer to the experts.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CP92 said:
    Supposedly (and when I used it mine were in pretty bad shape) the coarsest setting is good for laying a bevel back down.  But, I definitely defer to the experts.
    I'm no expert but I had knives that were going dull very quickly using something similar device. I went and had it professionally sharpened and they told me what I just blindly repeated to you :))

They actually showed me under the scope that the edge had actually rolled over. You can sharpen that with a mechanical sharpener (and i was) but it goes dull very quickly. Once he reset my edge, it has never happened again. I use my stone like once every 2 months or so just to keep it set.

• CP92
    And using a steel before each use helps as well!
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Lit
    Do not use a steel on a knife unless it is very dull. Steels average 500 grit which is more coarse than I even sharpen with.
  • CP92
    @Lit, completely contrary to everything I've heard before regarding the frequency of usage for steel.  While I subscribe to "not everything you read on the interwebs is true"... there are plenty of examples out there that support using a steel every time before using your knives as a means to keep them sharp.

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-use-knife-steel-our-most-cutting.html
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Lit
    All the articles you read that say use a steel are for people buying a $100 knife set and are happy that it cuts a tomato without slipping. My sharpening routine starts at 1000 grit and honing or touch up start at 6000 grit and goes through .5 microns or about 60,000 grit on a loaded strop. You don't really need that for daily use but there are way better options to keep a knife sharp. A 6000 grit stone with a couple passes a month or every 2 weeks if you use it alot will keep it razor sharp. Also if you want to use a rod get a fine grit ceramic rod they are at least 1200 grit. I bought a 1200 grit fine ceramic rod and it came in after I had just recently honed my knives and I tried it on one and could see with the naked eye I had just dulled my knife and put teeth on it so I gave it to a friend that always asks me to sharpen his knives. Basically a rod keeps it acceptable for use but does not keep it sharp. You are also wearing down your knives quickly at suck a low grit. I fixed a friends 10" chef that had a huge chip in the blade and at 300 grit I took an eight of an inch off the blade in a half hour so think what hitting it at 500 grit all the time is doing.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    I did just upgrade to the ken Onion Work Sharp (I have the Shun Ken Onion Chef's Knife too but that really doesn't matter) but I have to wait for Christmas to use it. I can't wait.
    That sharpener looks awesome.  Know anyone who's bought one?  Reviews?  I think I just found what I want for Christmas.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    The Williams Sonoma near me does first one free and additional ones for $5 each while you wait. I took in a couple of good knives and they were sharper than I ever had them. The guy showed me their setup. It's a professional 3stone thing with attachments for correct angles for most types of good knives.
  • CP92
    @Lit, you're obviously more informed and qualified on the matter than I am.  Thanks for the link, I'll make sure to digest it.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD