Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Mad MAx or not?

Options
I have a turkey I am going to cook tomorrow. I ALWAYS deep fry, but this time I am going to use the XL and see the difference. Should I use mad max's method or another one? I like the idea of making a sauce, but cannot stomach the idea of using the neck and giblets to do it. Are there any people out there that used his method and modified it to omit the nasty stuff? I plan to make a brine here soon and let it sit till tomorrow. Thanks brothers.

KCCO

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• michigan_jason
    Options

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• shadowcaster
    Options
    I did the mad max method for the first time this Thanksgiving and it turned out better than I imagined. I followed his reciepe to a T and it was the best turkey I have had. Not sure what you mean by not using the "nasty stuff" but I'm sure you could choose not to use some ingredients and it will still be eggcelent. Good luck and take pictures
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I pulled some pieces from it, but I ultimately ended up going my own way.  Neck and Giblets bother you?  All you're using it for is stock so you don't have to put it into your gravy.  It really makes a difference so just make sure to strain it properly and no pieces will get in.  

I used the herb brine that centex posted last year.  I iced my breasts for 20 minutes prior to throwing it on.  I scratched all the stuff he throws inside and just opted for a lil rosemary in the cavity.  I placed foil on the wing tips and leg ends to prevent them from getting too dark.  I softened some butter, and massaged it all over the bird, then I seasoned it with Red Eye Express.  Threw it on the egg at 350 grid and then brushed butter on the bird every 45 min to an hour starting at 1.5 hours (thanks cen).  It really helps with flavor and crisps the skin.

I made the stock according to mad max's directions.  After I pulled the bird off (160 breast 180 leg), I got the drippings and skimmed the fat after it parted.  His gravy approach is pretty standard.  Deglaze the pan with butter, add flour to make a roux, then add wine, strained stock and drippings.  I passed on chopping up the neck and giblets and gave it to the dog.  The wife won't eat it so I didn't even try to sneak it in.  The gravy is still awesome none the less...everyone loved it!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    I'm only anal with recipes when it comes to baking.  With everything else, I tweak and go off of feel the majority of the time.  
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I did the mad max method for the first time this Thanksgiving and it turned out better than I imagined. I followed his reciepe to a T and it was the best turkey I have had. Not sure what you mean by not using the "nasty stuff" but I'm sure you could choose not to use some ingredients and it will still be eggcelent. Good luck and take pictures
    The giblets, neck, organs.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I'm only anal with recipes when it comes to baking.  With everything else, I tweak and go off of feel the majority of the time.  
    Sounds good, I will follow it to a t and use cen-tex's brine if I can find it.

• cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:

Sounds good, I will follow it to a t and use cen-tex's brine if I can find it.

Hmm okay lol

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145474/the-herbed-poultry-brine-from-charcuterie-the-craft-of-salting-smoking-and-curing/p1
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Nasty stuff in gravy makes a really good gravy. My mom never put that in the gravy and I never knew what I was missing till I did it. My wife doesn't know. Shhhh.
    Dunedin, FL
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    I used the neck and giblets for the stock, but family did not like the idea of it in the gravy, so instead I browned 10oz of ground turkey and mixed it in the gravy. Was fantastic!
    Pentwater, MI
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2013
    Options
    See if you can get some wings and necks tomorrow. They are usually really cheap. Roast them for an hour at 425 and put some mirepoix in, just rough cut for another half hour. Cover them in cold water and bring up to a simmer. Let them go as long as you can. Take the bird drippings (don't use the butter and wine in Max's method) and add some flour to the drippings and cook it for a few minutes. Deglaze with white wine and add some of the stock to the pan.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    I used the neck and giblets for the stock, but family did not like the idea of it in the gravy, so instead I browned 10oz of ground turkey and mixed it in the gravy. Was fantastic!
    I can't use them. I normally start picking at them and they are gone before I know it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON