Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thumb-stuffed Anglo-Indian sausage

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,458
edited December 2013 in Pork
made sausages for the first time ... tweaked a recipe from Calcutta's Anglo-Indian community ... ground pork, ice water, salt, fresh ground pepper, chili powder, cloves, cardamon, cinnamon, nutmeg, dried parsley, garlic powder, fresh minced chili, onion, corriander ... thumb-stuffing funnel from local grocer works really well ,it was fun ...egged raised direct at 350 till 180 IT ... very happy with how it turned out.

edit: thanks to tips learned from fellow eggers, I twisted each link along the way, not a single blowout.

canuckland

Comments

• yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    edited December 2013
    So... what is the funnel for ? is that how you stuffed the sausage ? Also looks good do you have the exact recipe ?
  • Canugghead
    yogi84 said:
    So... what is the funnel for ? is that how you stuffed the sausage ? Also looks good do you have the exact recipe ?
    yup!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited December 2013
    make sure you taste and adjust before stuffing.

very rough measures, it's almost like 3 teaspoons of everything!

10 lb ground pork picnic shoulder, all fat included
    2 cups icy water
    40g salt (we are not big on salt, this is 50% of what Charcuterie recommends)
    3 ts each of chili powder, garlic powder, cinnamon, fresh ground black pepper
    30 cloves, roast and ground
    30 pods of cardamon seeds (discard pods), roast and ground
    1/2 ts ground nutmeg
    3 heaped TB dried parsley
    5 fresh minced green chili
    10 medium onions, finely chopped
    Big bunch of fresh corriander, finely chopped

canuckland
  • Sounds right up my alley Gary! Did you think about using lamb and pork fat at all?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Sounds right up my alley Gary! Did you think about using lamb and pork fat at all?
    No Steven, will keep lamb in mind next time.
    canuckland
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Awesome. Those look fantastic. I love making sausage and have enough casing in the fridge for about 100 lbs but I don't have the time to get it made. My friend just returned from India with loads of spices and gave me a bunch and you've inspired me. Gonna try for fresh Indian sausage Sunday if time permits.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    =D> sweet looks good gotta try this recipe.... thanks!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nice! We used to buy sausage from New (aka Hogg) Market when I was a kid. Its cool to see regional influences on food - the spices are common to many (most?) kabab recipes, except for the pork of course. Those look amazing.

Did you grind up the fat separately or just grind it as it was on the meat?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Brings back savory memory indeed. I didn't separate the fat, just removed the rind and bone, cubed, stuck in freezer about half hour, then ground.  You're right about the recipe, it smelled amazing before stuffing, I almost wanted to make some kofta style kebab with it but I guess the casing holds the fat and juice better.
    canuckland
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034

Very nice Gary

Will be giving this recipe a try

Shane

• caliking
    I'm going to try these some time. Another question - did you use kosher or table salt? I'm assuming you cook these sausages when you want to eat them, no smoking involved?

• Canugghead
    Hey Shane, good to see you around. I've been wanting to make sausages since I tasted and inspired by your awesome homemade 'coil' 2 years ago!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    caliking said:
    I'm going to try these some time. Another question - did you use kosher or table salt? I'm assuming you cook these sausages when you want to eat them, no smoking involved?
    You're right, no smoking, just cooked fresh at 350 raised direct till IT 180 ish.  Froze most of it for future.

As for salt, Ruhlman's Charcuterie suggests 3 TB/40 g kosher salt per 5 lb of meat.  I used sea salt so I measured by weight not volume... since we're not big on salt, roughly 40-45g sea salt for 10 lb meat worked well for us. Start with less and add more if needed after sampling.
    canuckland
  • Gary you cheap old bugger, meet me at Aurora foods and get hooked up with a pro thing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Haha Steven, our tiny place is already bursting at the seams with heavy meat slicer, dehydrator, DIY sous vide contraption, etc ... no need and no room for the pro thing ... beside, it's good exercise for my arthritic digits  :D
    canuckland
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Nice looking sausage! How do you keep the ends closed when they are on the egg? Are you tying each end or just the twisting seal it? Never made sausage before so please excuse my dumb questions :)
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I like the funnel. I have the Kitchen Aid attachment and it sucks. Need to get an upright stuffer or something simple like you have.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Canugghead
    edited December 2013
    hapster said:
    Nice looking sausage! How do you keep the ends closed when they are on the egg? Are you tying each end or just the twisting seal it? Never made sausage before so please excuse my dumb questions :)
    Thanks. dumb questions are those not asked! Just twisting.  I started cooking with them joined, after about 15 minutes for the shape to firm up, I cut off the links, no problem with meat popping out.  Lots of uncooked extras ... I froze them joined first, then separated them individually before bagging ... plan to cook them frozen so the meat won't pop out before they firm up.  I'm experimenting since this is my first attempt.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    gmac said:
    I like the funnel. I have the Kitchen Aid attachment and it sucks. Need to get an upright stuffer or something simple like you have.
    Not sure how a mechanised or electric stuffer will work. I like this low tech gadget, at least for small quantity I guess, it allows me time to deal with trapped air bubbles and shape/thin the links at my own pace. Not a single blowout.
    canuckland
  • Mr. Holloway and I have the same electric grinder/stuffer. I'm going to put a foot switch on mine cause it's a little too fast. Maybe a little three phase motor with an inverter

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mr Holloway

Great idea Steve

Been thinking about an upright stuffer but I have the wife trained so well :)

This thing plows through anything I have done with it

Just don't want to wreck this grinder stuffing 60lbs a week =))

Gary, if your ever in the market for a grinder, cant say enough about this model

Shane

• Hahaha! What a sales pitch eh? I can't keep up single handed.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mr Holloway

Hahahaha

Yes still laugh about that one

Again, thanks for hooking me up with that. It has paid for itself in burgers already :D

Shane

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice, my grinder and stuffer arrive next week. Can't wait!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    @Canugghead - What is that little doohickey called? Sausage funnel? stuffing funnel? And what size? Also, how does one attach the casing to the funnel to stuff it? I like the idea of the lo-tech, small footprint funnel!

• Canugghead
    caliking said:
    @Canugghead - What is that little doohickey called? Sausage funnel? stuffing funnel? And what size? Also, how does one attach the casing to the funnel to stuff it? I like the idea of the lo-tech, small footprint funnel!
    Got my sausage stuffing funnel from a local Italian grocer years ago. Someone in the other forum provided this link:
    I think it's standard size for hog casing, the tip is about one inch diameter, but when packed tight it expands, look closely at the first photo. How to attach casing to the funnel? Think cond*m, seriously.  

Here's cut and paste of what I posted on the other forum:
    It's essentially an aluminum funnel with tapered end. You start by threading hog casing on it, like a condom  and bunch it up as much as you can. Start by pulling off few inches (reserved for tying the end knot but don't tie until you've a couple of inches filled, to avoid trapping air), start filling the funnel with small lumps of sausage mix and press in with your thumb, control the nozzle with the other hand so the casing won't release too fast. Pack each link section tight to avoid trapped air, then squeeze it uniformly backward to reduce thickness slight and release pressure before twisting to form the link. Twist the link as you go along, to avoid blowout. 

Sorry for the long writeup, hope it makes sense to you.

canuckland
  • caliking
    Thanks for the info, Gary!

• Great stuff here, glass I found this thread. Definite bookmark!
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Can't wait to do sausage myself. I'm sure yours was tasty.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Sausage looks amazing. Looks nice and uniform. Props for handstuffing it. I'm not sure I would have the patience for that myslef. How long did it take?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings