Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question About White Wine???

Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning tomorrow evening dinner. Chicken is in the fridge. Orinally thought I would brine it, but then read yesterday's post and got interested in the beer butt and white wine treatment. I know about the beer butt but I have two questions:[p]1. Would JJ's rub go well with the white wine sauce.[p]2. When do you recommend the white wine on the chicken. [p]I plan to do it indirect & low heat, bird on a sitter, with a half-can of beer under it.[p]Thanks for your help here to make tomorrow's meal tasty. (My wife say she is already anticipating this thing)[p]Anthony

Comments

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Anthony Up North,[p]You should cook the chicken at 300*-350*. It will take about 15 minutes per pound.[p]I would use JJs rub with a beer butt chicken and leave the white wine for a "gentler" spice.[p]Fritz
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Anthony Up North,
    Do chicken at higher temps - 325-375 or you will have rubber chicken. Coat the skin with olive oil to make it brown nicely. Very little to no smoke - the lump adds pleanty and foul sucks up smoke.[p]Goooo luck[p]Tim

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Tim M,[p]I would add that poultry is a good place to use some more delicate woods like orange, apple, grape, etc.[p]I personally like a lot of smoke flavor in chicken, and the delicate ones provide a nicer touch than a lot of hickory (though I like that as well).[p]Fritz
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Tim M, you have a way with words, but for what it's worth - you are 100% right! Have a great evening.

• Fritz,[p]Would you use any sauce at all with a beer butt bird? If so which would you recommend?[p]Thanks [p]Anthony[p]

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Anthony Up North,[p]> 2. When do you recommend the white wine on the chicken. [p]when you sit down to eat the chicken. Toast the egg with it and enjoy.[p]Just had a Kenwood Savauginon Blanc - yum![p]Mary (just couldn't resist ;-)

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Fritz,
    Good point about softer woods, I like apple best of all. I really meant for the poster to go easy on wood on his first chicken, then add more if you want on the next one until you hit your taste. My first bird was really smokey and my wife almost never let me do a second to redem myself. I add a chunk of pecan or apple and that's fine.[p]Tim

• Tim M,[p]Tim! Good advice on the smoke. My wife doesn't like too much of a smoke taste. I do. Last few time I used apple, but put on too much. It was a bit smokey, even for me. You are right, chicks absorb smoke rather quickly. It's such delicate meat.[p]Thanks for your suggestion.[p]Anthony