Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Bradley Digital Smoker

Any one use this as well as their egg?

I am getting into smoking and curing and like the idea of smoked sausages and pepperettes (snack sticks) etc.

I can definitely fit more into the smoker than I can my LGBE. I kind of feel like Im cheating on my egg by having an affair with another smoker. Don't get me wrong she will still be loved and adorned.

Comments

• I have had a Bradley for 2 years and use it a lot. I dont have the digital model , my temp cntrl is on a slider but works well.Getting ready to smoke some bacon in it next Friday. Just cold smoked some cheese yesterday for the first time. You use the Bradley for things you can't do on the egg and vice versa. Head over to the Bradley forum and you will learn a lot. I have some posts on there now about this whole bacon curing thing
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • I've seen some of the gas ones with some pretty sweet savings for Black Friday. But like you said, I feel like I'm cheating on my egg. But I "asked" for a bunch of sausage and the charcuterie book and a smoker like that would be a whole lot easier to use for that type of food.

XLBGE 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@hondabbq - I don't have the Bradley but like you have been thinking about it.  The only thing I understand is that it can be a bit underpowered for cold weather work.  Lots of people modify then by adding a second heating element (spare parts from Bradley) and double the wattage. 

The guy at work who has one puts it in his garage with a ducted bathroom fan to the outside to work with it in the winter (Toronto winter - not Winnipeg winter).

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    BigWader said:

@hondabbq - I don't have the Bradley but like you have been thinking about it.  The only thing I understand is that it can be a bit underpowered for cold weather work.  Lots of people modify then by adding a second heating element (spare parts from Bradley) and double the wattage. 

The guy at work who has one puts it in his garage with a ducted bathroom fan to the outside to work with it in the winter (Toronto winter - not Winnipeg winter).

I have a shop to keep my implements and toys but it isn't heated or insulated. I too have read about the cold weather issues, especially wind being the biggest issue.

I don't have an AR like yourself and its about 1/2 of the price to buy and ship, so I am limited on my volume of snack sticks and sausages for smoking on the egg. This is the only reason I am entertaining the idea.

Not that its hard work but if your going to do a batch of anything, my thoughts are that you might as well do a lot to make the time justified. To do a 3lb batch like my first time would be detrimental eventually. Those are almost gone already.

• I have my Bradley in the garage by a door that goes outside. With the garage door open and the door beside the Bradley cracked about 6 inches  the smoke goes out that way. Georgia winters here.
    I cold smoked some cheese yesterday and with the smoke generator on only I was able to keep it at 80. I had to prop the cabinet door open about a half inch so it would not head up to 100. It will easy go to 120 with only the puck burner going.. In the summer I get about 270 to 300 with the temp control all the way up. I have done many of Boston butts on it. But know I'm excited about doing those on my egg
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

@laserdoc85 Getting and keeping the temp up is my only concern. I am going to buy one but I just don't know if I should pull the trigger now. The digital one is $100 off right now locally. I don't want to buy it and stare at it for the next 4 months due to the cold Canadian weather.

I don't know how cold is too cold for this thing to operate efficiently. I would like to smoke over the winter, and start now. We get down to -20  to -30 C. I would do it accordingly on days that are warmer of course, and those temps being -10 to -15 C. I don't want to lay out the cash to have it not be able to do it properly ,and find that out and waste the meat and time.

• laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited November 2013
    If you go to the Bradley form and find the post where I'm asking about cures for bacon there is a guy from Alaska that smokes. I would ask him the question. If you post a general question about your concerns I'm sure some other folks from the great white north will chime in
    Jefferson .GA.