Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

scalped potatoes on the grill..

Started with 1/2 a large onion,1 tbs of butter and  two slices of bacon, sautéed them on the egg in a dutch oven till they were brown not crisp, then sliced approx 3 cups of potatoes. Two large Russets. Heated up 1 cup of milk, 1 tbs of butter 1/2 tsp of pepper 1 tsp of salt in the microwave until it bubbled.. potatoes were sliced thin and 1 cup of pepper jack cheese. Poured the hot milk over the potatoes and cheese and then added to the bacon and onions in the hot dutch oven. Temp is at 300. Grilling them for about 45 min. and then we will have them with some left over stuffed pork tenderloin from the other night. Potatoes are looking good. Good eats in about 30 minutes.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Anxious to hear how much smoke flavor they picked up, bet it tastes great!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Sounds like a winner, hope to see a picture later.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Well  we both enjoyed the spuds, they had a slight smokey flavour and we would do this again with the pork tenderloin.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • This is a new dish for me.  I've heard of scalloped potatoes, but not scalped potatoes.  I'm wondering what nefarious weapon was used to scalp the poor vegetable, and was it humanely killed beforehand.  :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Nice looking spuds. To me scalloped potatoes have onions and cream/milk, but no cheese, au gratin potatoes have cheese but no onions. (Garlic and other spices optional) Yours have both, so you have come up with a different twist and christened them scalped - good for you. 
    German friend gave me the tip of standing the sliced spuds up like little roof tiles, then pouring the roux, melted cheese and spice mix over the spuds. Great comfort food, enjoy with your pork tenderloin. 

Here's her recipe if you want to try it. 

700 grams (1-1/2 pounds) potatoes (about 4 medium)

40ml Salted butter (2-1/2 Tbs), if using unsalted butter add 2.5ml (1/2tsp) salt

45ml Flour (3Tbs)

400ml milk (1-1/2 to 2 cups) good for a 10” skillet

1 garlic clove crushed

250ml (1 cup) American sharp cheddar cheese shredded, if using Canadian cheese, use mild or medium cheddar. 

15ml Parma/Romano finely shredded (1Tbs)

Arrange peeled and sliced potatoes in well greased pan or cast iron skillet like roof tiles, on an angle. 

In saucepan, melt butter and salt if required, stir in flour (making a roux), slowly add milk to almost boil. Add garlic and cheese. Once melted, pour over potatoes. Sprinkle more Parma/Romano on top.

Bake at 400F for 1 to 1-1/2 hours until top is golden brown. Let rest for five minutes and serve. 

Onion powder can be added to the roux or before adding the flour, saute fresh finely chopped 1/4 small onion or 2 shallots in the butter. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I'm gonna have to try that Skiddy!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HNL
    HNL Posts: 31
    ANyone have the recepie for the Texas de Brazil Au Gratin Potatoes?  Those are amazing.
  • @VI that is what we call em on the Wet Coast.  :D
    Thanks Sir 
    Large, small, and a mini
    Thanks Sir 
    Large, small, and a mini
    Thanks Sir 
    Yeah, it's funny how people in different parts of the country will call things by a different name.  For instance, in the East and North, they call their bean soup, chili.  I have no idea how they came up with that name.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious