Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Tomato Jam

Options
My better half brought home a recipe for this, making it as I type. I've had it before and it rocks. If it turns out and anyone is interested I will share the recipe.
XL BGE

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Interesting, never heard of tomato jam. What do you usually put that on? Pics and recipe.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options
    Spiced Tomato Jam 5 lbs tomatoes, cored and chopped 3 1/2 c granulated sugar 1/2 c freshly squeezed lime juice 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger (peel the ginger before grating) 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1/2 tsp ground cloves 1 Tbsp sea salt 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes Combine all the ingredients in a large nonreactive pot. (I used my favorite 4 qt pot, which was perfect for the task.) Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low. Simmer the jam, stirring regularly, until the tomato appears fully cooked and begins to break down. Blitz the whole pot with an immersion blender – get it as smooth as possible. Prepare jars and a boiling water bath. I like to put this up in 4 oz jars – you’ll need about 13 in that size, or 6 8-oz jars plus some extra in a custard cup to stash in the fridge. When the jam has cooked down and will pass a wrinkle test, remove pot from the heat and ladle the jam into your sterilized jars. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes. This jam is amazing. It’s better than ketchup. This is not a simple sweet condiment; it’s deeply spicy and tomatoey, and has a little kick at the end. Fabulous on meatloaf, or anywhere you might use ketchup, it’s also a natural match with soft runny cheeses.
    XL BGE
  • Seanr7
    Options
    It goes very well on steaks and pork.
    XL BGE
  • Seanr7
    Options
    Finished product.
    XL BGE