Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey breast on the egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today, from my wonderful meat market, I bought an 8 lb turkey breast, which I asked to be cut in half. (There are two of us.) They did that, but now I don't know exactly how to cook a 4# turkey breast, or how long go cook it. Or at what temperature.. Help, please, and thanks!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    MidMag7, well, just last Sunday I egged an 8.6# turkey breast indirect at 325. The rule of thumb is 15 to 20 minutes per pound to a temp of 165.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • LasVegasMac
    Options
    MidMag7,[p]<< I bought an 8 lb turkey breast, which I asked to be cut in half. (There are two of us.) >>[p]Wow. You guys can eat![p]LOL.[p]I do TB's the same way I do chicken halves - about 325, indirect for two hours or so. Depends on size, of course.[p]LVM

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    MidMag7, I just did one tuesday, whole breast. Mixxed some cherry wood with some hickory, 15 min per pound. Was the best turkey ever. Perfect. The breast is ready at 170.

• FUNNNEEEE, LVM. LOL! [p]Thanks everyone. Do you baste it with butter? Do a rub before cooking? What? Since you do 8 pounders, does it all get eaten, or do you freeze some of it for later use? Could do that, I suppose, but not fond of frozen cooked meats.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    MidMag7,
    I'd cook it the same way I would in an oven, 325 degrees until it reads 160-165 in the breast. Let it rest 15 minutes tented with foil. I tend to like Montreal Steak Seasoning on turkey and chicken. I don't baste. If we have a large breast like that, I find that four of us will eat about half. The other half can be frozen, but we will probably eat it in the next couple of days, so I don't bother. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    MidMag7,
    if you like to try something different, cut the breast into steaks, across the grain. Then put between two sheets of cling film (rubbed with a little water, to stop the meat from sticking) and batton out with a meat mallet or cleaver. Dust with your favourite rub, and cook direct heat at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes on each side, depending on how thin the steaks are after being battoned.
    Quick, tasty, and very succulent.
    Roger