Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble!!

Options
No clue what happened.  Last month my well used large suddenly went off.  The lid slid to the left and back.  The springs will no longer support the lid when opened and it does not seal.  I was able to fix the lid going left with washers.  Tried the front back but does not seem to want to cooperate.  Does the strap hardware wear out and need to be replaced?  I need to get this fixed as come Turkey days I cook for days for friends and neighbors.  Tango

TangoT2

><(((°> ><(((°> <x)))>< ><(((°>

Only dead fish go with the flow.

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    I would call the mothership. They were great to me when my first plate setter broke.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Do the straps still look to be properly seated? I would try loosening the two bolts and then re-tightening
    Greensboro, NC
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Houston, we've got a problem.  (I always like to hear that).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    A picture of the back of the bands may help to figure out the problem
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • TangoT2
    Options
    Thanks guys for answering.  All looks to be in order to me.  I will reposition the straps. There is supposed to be 1/4 inch between the hard lip and the start of the strap correct? 

TangoT2

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The bands often need to be re-seated, and the nuts tightened on the bolts clamping the bands. The metal heats and loosens, usually gradually, but sometimes noticeably right after very hot cooking sessions.

I did have a gap problem once that took quite a bit of fuss. As I was putting a lid down, I heard a slight "boing" as if a spring had snagged on something. I saw the lid had slid forward slightly, and lifted a bit in the back. I loosened the band, repositioned them, and reseated the dome. That held for about 2 cooks, and then I was back to the same problem but worse. I repeated the above, and had the same results. Tried re-seating the dome again, and tightening the spring nuts. Took 4 cooks before things went out of whack.

Thought I might have to dis-assemble the whole thing. As I was considering how to go about it, I began testing how tight all the nuts were all over. I figured some might need an application of liquid wrench to loosen them. What I discovered was that two of the nuts that hold the hinge assembly to the bands at the top right were slightly loose.

I tried to get the spring tension back to where it was originally. Loosened the band and re-seated the dome. Then tightened the hinge attachment nuts. They were less than 1 full turn loose, but that was enough. After correcting that, I haven't had a repeat of the problem in over a year.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    My XL instructions said the distance from the bottom of the bottom band to the top of the top band should be 2" ± 1/16" measured at 4 points.    I have readjusted a couple of times when I had to disassemble the egg to install in my table.  

If I loosen both bands, allow the dome to sit free on the base, then position and tighten the bands, I have a very tight seal, and everything works smoothly.  You do have to open the dome and un-clip the springs to do this.  Re-clip them once you have re-tightened the bands.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • TangoT2
    Options
    Thanks for your tips. I've been busy building a brick and granite BBQ stand for my BGE.  The weather has not totally cooperated till this weekend.  I saw on one site where the band distance needs to be precisely half of the distance as measured in the back between the springs.  That measurement should follow all the way around the base and lid straps.  I will see if the spring pins are loose and I did have a hot burn because the lid was not aligned.  That could have done it. 

TangoT2

• TangoT2
    TangoT2 Posts: 12
    edited November 2013
    Options

Upon further investigation in daylight I found the bands are bent where the back assembly is connected. Photo attached.  I also tightened the bottom bolts that hold the spring. I suspect it was bent by a jealous in-law who refuses to acknowledge the greatness of the BGE.  He continues to buy new gas grills every other year and his wife continues to comment how much better my grilling is from my 8 year old BGE.  Ordered new bands ($125) Yikes.  I'm sure that I will get this fixed in time for Thanksgiving.   

bent.JPG 731.3K

TangoT2

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Thanks for the follow-up.  If you are being serious about the in-law issue then you have bigger in-law issues than I do.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TangoT2
    Options
    Update!  Just in time for Thanksgiving.  I received the bands from BGE HQ and to my pleasant surprise it came with the back spring mechanism as well.  Mothership did call on my cell but unfortunately I had 3 fires I was working on at work.  I would have liked to talk to them.  The bands were thicker than my original so I'm thinking there was a little product improvement.  Easy to replace and now all is right with the world.  Pease has been restored over the land.  My granite top should be done this week so I can finish up that project.  I'll send a picture when it's done.  Thanks for all your help. 

TangoT2