Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza recipe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new bge owner and need an awesome pizza repipe. I have only cooked twice on the egg and it is awesome. thanks,
gman

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    gman,
    Here is my web page of pizza hints and tips. There is a recipe on it, but it is pretty basic. If you are looking for awesome, I'm sure someone here has just the ticket! Good luck with the first pizzas![p]TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    gman,
    I use the Spin's pizza dough recipe it is a good simple one to do. For sauce I'm a can of paste and can of sauce with a bunch of spices thrown in to taste. Lots of folks recommend corn meal under the crust on the stone and peel to ease the movement of the pizzas. I've found that the cornmeal will burn as your cooking (for multipizza cooks)and have been using kosher salt. It works just like the cornmeal, does not burn, and adds just a hint of saltiness to the crust. I always buy stick pepperoni and slice it myself. I think it adds to that homemadeness of the pizzas. Our family favorite and the favorite of guests is always a chicken pizza. I used to smoke some chicken earlier in the day (really grill with a couple of chips tossed in) then let the fire go low key to burn off the chips and then I fill it to the top of the firebox and add the pizza set up. It takes a while again afte the addition of the fresh lump sometimes to burn of the charcoal dust and stop smoking again. We carmalize some red onions on the stove top and use the red onions, mozzarella, and feta cheese with the chicken and a little pizza sauce.[p]With a second grill I can smoke some Pizzas and not have the setup times/smoke worries etc of my old method. Reason #1 for our small Egg purchase :>) It worked :>)
    I got off lucky this time, 7 years ago when I got the large I got the Egg and the wife got a red chair and ottoman that no one is allowed to sit in.

• Daddy Pat
    Options
    gman,
    Hey, I love doing pizza on the BGE..I did several at last weekend at eggtoberfest. Here is one of the recipes I did last weekend. I hope that you enjoy your new BGE.
    Daddy Pat’s Blue Ribbon BBQ Pizza[p]Ingredient List[p]Pizza dough (any brand)
    BBQ Sauce (Daddy Pat’s Award winning BBQ sauce) * or any brand
    1 Boston butt smoked on the BGE**
    1 Brisket (flat or whole) smoked on the BGE ***
    1 package of 6 cheeses for pizza (any brand)[p]Step 1) stabilize BGE @ 575 with an indirect setup
    Steps 2) chop the butt and brisket
    Step 3) Brush pizza with Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Step 4) Spread Daddy Pat’s Award winning BBQ sauce *over dough, then spread pork and/or beef over dough followed by cheese (forget measurements: You can’t measure fun and great flavor)
    Step 5) Place pizza on the BGE and cook until cheese is melted and topping look the way you like it. Aprox. 15 – 20 minutes
    TIP: use a handful of cornmeal to make pizza removal effortless
    Step 4) Remove and slice and Enjoy.[p]* Daddy Pat’s BBQ Sauce – 2005 Amateur Scovie Winner
    ** 1- 6 lb. Boston butt – injected with Chef Williams Creole Butter and rubbed with the following Cajun Rub Recipe: 1 cup paprika
    4 Tbs. granulated garlic
    2 Tbs. cayenne pepper
    2 tsp. dry mustard
    4 tsp. dried oregano
    4 tsp. seasoned salt
    2 tsp. black pepper
    2 tsp. cumin
    2 tsp. white pepper
    1 tsp. nutmeg
    Mix all the ingredients and rub Boston but and place on Bge stabilized @ 230 (indirect setup). Remove @ internal temp of 195 degrees and wrap in foil for at least 1 hour.[p] *** 1 5-7 lb brisket flat – used the following rub on the brisket. ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
    ¼ cup of firmly packed dark brown
    1 Tbs. garlic salt
    1 Tbs. garlic salt
    1 Tbs. black pepper
    1 Tbs. paprika
    1 Tbs. chili powder
    1 tsp. celery salt
    ¼ tsp. allspice
    ¼ tsp. thyme
    Pour Worcestershire sauce over brisket and rub it in. Mix other ingredients and season brisket then rub into the brisket. Prepare BGE @ 230 degrees (indirect setup) and cook until 195 internal temp. Once internal temperature is achieved wrap the brisket in heavy duty foil and rest for at least 1 hour or until ready to use

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Made pizza tonight

All info is from this web site. Nothing original.
    1. Stabilized egg, plate setter and pizza stone at 500.
    2. Used prepared garlic/herb dough from Traders Joes (.99)
    3. Used Constandina's pizza sauce.
    4. Used packaged shredded Mozzarella
    5. Used a variety of toppings (onion, grn pepper etc.)
    6. Used a lot of corn meal in rolling out the dough.
    7. Put rolled out dough on parchment paper that was on the peel.
    8. Put the toppings on.
    9. Slide the pizza (and parchment paper) onto the stone sprinked liberally with corn meal.
    10. After about 3 min slide the parchment paper out.
    11. Cook pizza until done.
    Easy fast and great I made two small personal pies as opposed to one large one. easier to handle
    good egging
    billyg