Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DIY Sausage

Now that it's getting cooler, I'm looking to make some sausage. There is a lot out of info out there but I'd like to ask those here for any special nuggets of wisdom in prep, recipes, smoke/cook proteins first etc..

I've sourced my casings and have the equipment (Kitchen Aid rig with grinder and stuffer) now just looking for a strategy. I want to do pork and seafood (preferably salmon but I'm open to anything).

Thanks everyone!

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• Thanks for this. Have you done this before?
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Keep everything clean and as cold as possible.

Take all the metal parts of your grinder and stuffer and put them in a freezer for a good 30 minutes along with your cubed up meat before you get started.

If you are using the KA (I never have but have heard) makes sure you have some extra hands to help you. You won't be able to do it alone.

Are you doing "fresh" sausages or "cured" ones? Like brats and Italian sausage versus something with cure in it that you will smoke at low temps? If the second, make sure you are using a tried and true recipe. Don't go screwing around thinking you can just do whatever you want. You could get yourself and others sick or dead (botulism).

If you can, get a book or three and read up. Try your local library if you don't want to spend the money at first.

I'll help you in any possible way I can, just ask away on what kind of questions you have.

I did do a 3 part series on grinding meat. You can probably skip the first two, but the third one might come in handy.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Lots of sausage making experience represented on this site; so you should get plenty of input.

I did my first sausages a few weeks ago. Do your research, plan your work and then work your plan!

Based on my first experience the thing that gave me the most trouble was getting a consistent and even amount of meat through the entire length of my casings. I assume that that will come with practice. I was, however, very pleased with the results.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Oh...and instersting you mentioned seafood. If I have the time, I might be trying out a chicken and shrimp sausage recipe this weekend while I've got the egg occupied with a brisket.

Rowlett, Texas

• Sweet! Thanks guys.

I've been pondering sausage for a while but after seeing your Venison sausage, Griffin, got me to move it to the front burner. I'm looking to do fresh to start with and as this is definitely out of my normal comfort zone, plan to find a recipe and follow it to the letter.

I've got multiple family commitments this weekend but "The Chicken" is slated for Sunday. Hopefully some time available to bone up on process and execute in the next few weeks.

Thanks again...

• Lots of sausage making experience represented on this site; so you should get plenty of input.

I did my first sausages a few weeks ago. Do your research, plan your work and then work your plan!

Based on my first experience the thing that gave me the most trouble was getting a consistent and even amount of meat through the entire length of my casings. I assume that that will come with practice. I was, however, very pleased with the results.
    I've read the same re: the KA and filling the sausage consistently. What kind of sausage did you do recently?
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Ditch the KA stuffer and get a LEM 5lb model. The KA stuffer is a royal PITA. It is slow and can ruin your forcemeat. As Grifin said kept all of your meats and grinder parts as cold as you can. I put my grinder parts in the freezer for an hour before I start. Grind your meat into a bowl setting in ice.
    Duncan, SC
  • Griffin

Good idea going with fresh the first time.

One thing I forgot to mention, once you grind your meat and get the spices all mixed in, do a test fry of a patty first. Gives you an idea of what it will taste like and you can adjust the seasonings if need be.

@TexanOfTheNorth that was a problem for me my first few times as well. Getting consistent and even meat filling. It gets easier with time. You will also be slow at first, but the more you do it, the faster you become. Probably good to go slow the first few times so you don't have blow outs in your casings.

Oh...one more last thing. Something nobody ever told me that I ended up learning on my own. If you plan on twisting your sausages into links, do NOT tie the end when it comes off your stuffer. Leave it undone so as you twist your sausages, it gives the meat room to move and you won't have blow outs. I don't know how many times I tied both ends, then started to twist them and had blow out after blow out. I look back and go DUH!! How did I miss that. I guess its so obvious, nobody bothers explaining that. Tie the second end after you twist all your links up.

Rowlett, Texas

• Good feedback, Griffin. Silly question: how do the individual links stay sealed when twisted and cut into individual links? I would assume you would time them off. What is the preferred method?

How long do you soak your casings?

@Mross: If I end up doing this a fair bit, I'll certainly consider more firepower. Will definitely use the ice method.

@TOTN: the Andouille looks really tasty. I'll go for basic to get started. I have a habit of biting off more than I can chew sometimes.

• Griffin

I soak them for about 30 mintues. Dump the water around halfway through and refill with fresh. Important step is to take one casing right before you stuff it and open it up a bit. Then turn on the faucet and let the water run through and fill up the inside of the casing until it goes all the way till the end. It will fill up like a balloon. You'll see what I mean. This washes out the inside. Check to make sure there are no holes in it already as the water runs though it. If there are, cut the casing above and below the hole leaving you two smaller ones.

Believe it or not, they will stay sealed if you give them a few twists, bit I no longer cut the individual links apart. I'll do varying lenghts depending on the mood I'm in and leave them attached. I'll do some that I'll twist into 4 links and some that I'll just do two links or maybe just one long link. That way, I can reach in the freezer and grab what I need for the situation. For example, we went to a party last weekend where all the food was supplied. I didn't want to go empty handed, so I grabbed a bag of four lengths. Heated them up on the grill and served them up as an appetizer. Sometimes, its just me and the wife and we grab a two linker as a side meat to whatever we are grilling. And some people just do long coils and don't link them at all. Its up to, your sausage, your choice.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Oh, and each twist you do, twist in opposite directions. Twist once towards you, the next twist away from you and so on.

Rowlett, Texas

• Ah, now these are the nuggets of wisdom I was looking for! Thanks much, Griffin. I'll document when I do it.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Mross said:
    Ditch the KA stuffer and get a LEM 5lb model. The KA stuffer is a royal PITA. It is slow and can ruin your forcemeat. As Grifin said kept all of your meats and grinder parts as cold as you can. I put my grinder parts in the freezer for an hour before I start. Grind your meat into a bowl setting in ice.

Does the kitchen aid kit have a beaner plate?  (the one with really big holes to keep the assembly tight but let everything through without another grind?)

I jumped right in and bought a 5lb vertical stuffer - but I didn't have the grinder attachment so it was just redirecting money - but if I had the KA attachment I guess I would have used it a couple times to make sure this sausage thing was for me.

As far as tips go - everything that's been said - and I will add -

Once you mix your meat - keep it cold - It will set up a bit as it sits. 

Another one that I did recently was stretch plastic wrap over the counter before I started.  That way when I worked any spilling etc., was on the plastic wrap and when I was done cleaning up was easy.

Make a disinfectant solution with 1 tsp. bleach to 1 gallon of water (1/4 to 1 quart) to make a disinfectant solution to wipe everything down. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Good advice, BigWader. Thanks.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    i gotta say @griffin your blog is my go to for sausage recipes... i have made brats, hot italian , hot links, antelope jalapeno sausage (a twist on venison?!!).... i also make a turkey/green chille sausage next up for me is an elgin style sausage.... don't over stuff (it will happen though) keep everything cold and all should be well....
  • Griffin said:
    Oh, and each twist you do, twist in opposite directions. Twist once towards you, the next twist away from you and so on.
    Oh yeah... I also lost track of which direction the last twist was.  :(
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Griffin said:
    Oh yeah... I also lost track of which direction the last twist was.  :(
    thats happens to me when i am a few beers in....
  • Griffin
    Thanks @yogi84 . Like the sound of your elgin sausage. Make sure to post up how it comes out.

Rowlett, Texas

• Great advice here.
    Mom was the sausage maker in our house and she always fried up a patty of the mix she had to ensure correct taste. Understanding a cased link will have a bit more juice in it than a patty (Jimmy Dean style) she was taste testing the cooked product. I do recall her making adjustments before stuffing pounds of links.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    @Griffin - do you link breakfast sausage or just snip the casing at the correct length with scissors?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Griffin
    @BigWader for the breakfast sausages I used collagen and just cut them with scissors. I didn't link them. If I remember correctly, it seemed like they wouldn't twist. I could be mistaken as I've only used collagen one time. Some of the sausage did come out of the links a bit on the ends, but it baked up in the oven just fine.

Rowlett, Texas

• yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    when i mad the breakfast sausage i tied off the collagen casing with butcher twine....
  • yogi84 said:
    when i mad the breakfast sausage i tied off the collagen casing with butcher twine....
    I was hoping twine would work. All good info...