Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple onion greatness

Options
Hey all,

I need to share my favorite grilled onion recipe. Great/fantastic with fajitas, just ate with ny strips.

Simply almost quarter an onion, wedge in some butter, sprinkle with salt, wrap in foil.
I had it on a grate at 450 for about 45 minutes, you can't go too long, but you can go too short - longer is better. I usually place it directly on coals. Rotate every 20 minutes, les time if you are on coals, maybe 30 minutes total.

When done, squeeze a lime on it and enjoy!

This one could have gone longer, but was good. If the whole onion looks like the last photo, you have found nirvana.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Looks good to me, don't care for raw onions, probably because my mom doesn't like onion. So I never had it growing up.  But I love cooked down onions which is exactly what you have accomplished here. Nicely done!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    This sounds really good. Will try it over the week-end.  Thanks!

LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    That's a great way to do an onion! If you want to try something a little different use garlic powder in place of the salt.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I like to liberally coat with Cholula hot sauce. On the menu for tonight... Thanks for posting.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
    I like to liberally coat with Cholula hot sauce. On the menu for tonight... Thanks for posting.
    Do you misappropriate and put that **** on everything?