Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Cowlick Chile Success!

Wow...I did Egrets Cowlick Chile tonight.  What a great recipe...thanks so much for it!  As they say...didn't happen without pics!  Here it is when all but the floating chiles are added...when it was finished and ready to come off the egg...and when it was in the bowls!

imageimage
Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    We also did Egret's chile last night for the first time. It's a keeper. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Looks great. Did it myself on Sunday
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Put this on last night for the first time. Submitting it for a work contest tomorrow. This stuff is really good, thanks Egret!image

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• +1 on this recipe, the only chili I make anymore.  The smell and taste are incredible, and it just gets better in the days after it is made.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    I made this with brisket last weekend. It was amazing. Here is my humble submission.image
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Now I'm really hungry. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    Now I'm really hungry. 
    Me too

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• How many people do you think can this feed? Looks awesome.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• GATABITES
    It depends on the portions. I ate of the chilli for a few days. I think there might be a serving left. I would say we had at least 8-9 decent sized portions. I used a 7qt DO. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    edited November 2013

I am going to try this with course ground sirloin, and cubed sirloin for a mix of more texture.  I think I will leave out the sausage too.  It was (still is) delicious, but I want to see if there is a noticable difference.  I cut down on the chile powder just a tad.  Don't make the mistake of leaving the floating chili's in the pot and sampling as you go!!!  Unless you really like dragon breath!  I am telling you, I gave my wife a taste and it about killed her, so I was forced to taste it too.  I was relieved to find it was just those chili's and when I removed the 4 I had floating in it, and stirred, we were back to breathing normally, but still pretty dang potent.  Once it finished cooking, and we pulled it off the egg, the heat was more dispursed and comfortable to us.  The flavor was just intense however.  I think barbacoa would be an excellent addition with its texture and seasonings as well.  And would be interested to see this done with ground turkey as well. 

Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Whenever I make a "pot of red" (with beans, of course)..we eat it down pretty low, then make omelets with some of he left-overs.  When it gets down real low, mix it in with some freshly browned, spiced, ground beef.  That's some of the best taco filling imaginable!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • txav8r
    @GATABITES...looks like you also added corn to your recipe?
  • GATABITES
    txav8r said:
    @GATABITES...looks like you also added corn to your recipe?
    Yeah man! There is a spot in Baltimore that uses corn in there turkey chilli. I said what the heck, ill thrrow some corn in mine too. LOL it was fantastic. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • txav8r
    What portion of the brisket did you use and how much? 
  • GATABITES
    i used the flat. I would imagine i used about 2-2.5lbs of brisket. I only have a few sausage link so the vast majority of my meat was brisket. With a 7qt DO, I could have gotten away using more meat. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • txav8r
    Yeah, my 6.5 qt had plenty of room left and I followed the recipe of 1.5 pounds of ground meat and 1 pound of sausage, so I could go another half pound easily.  But I don't want to mess too much with the ratio.  It was really good, but the texture and difference in flavor that brisket brings has to be great.
  • txav8r
    +1 on this recipe, the only chili I make anymore.  The smell and taste are incredible, and it just gets better in the days after it is made.

Your right on both counts!  The flavors at lunch were even better than dinner! 
  • txav8r
    I packed a foil tin with the chili and covered with foil and placed in a ziplock and carried it to the airport (in a small lunch sized soft side cooler) for a trip a few days ago, for my dinner.  I had the flight attendant heat it for me instead of the crew meal.  It was as good or better than the night I cooked it.  I was sniffling before I had 4 spoonfuls!  Both the F/A and the FO were not impressed that I didn't bring the whole DO full of chili!