Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BEST combo of Eggs?

I struggled on what to buy on my first BGE purchase.  We like to entertain and like to cook Pizza's.  So it was easy to decide on the XL and I have not been disappointed.   That being said we entertain or do a big cook a couple of times a month.  I like the BGE so much I try to cook on it 3-4 times a week.  Therefore,  I now see myself,  as many others have stated,  looking at a large or a medium as a second for different temperature cooking or to use on a more frequent basis and save charcoal and time.  (The XL takes a while to get hot in the Northeast in the winter) and the charcoal ring is significantly larger in the XL. I am starting to believe that whatever you decide to buy at first, you will want another one.  Maybe the best combo is 2 large?  Maybe the XL and MEDIUM?  Your thoughts? 
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I first got a large  then a small now have a second large and medium.  There are lots of after market items for the large and some for the medium and small. Since you already have the xl I would suggest a large
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I have a Medium, Large, and XL (and had a Mini for a while.)

I'm not a big fan of the XL, but I still use it.  It's good if I'm doing a bunch of corn, kabob's, etc.  I used to use it for smoking butts and brisket, but I switched to a gravity fed vertical smoker for that.

For me, I would have three larges lined up if I had it to do over again.  That way all the accessories are interchangeable, and they all cook the same.  Each egg's size and shape makes it cook differently, and I like how the large cooks the best (the XL drives me nuts.)

I like the medium, but as the kids are getting bigger--and eating more--I use the Medium a lot less.

• Do you want to be mobile with the second?  My first was a large and I'm still debating on a small or mini for a second.  If not then get the largest that you have space & money for.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    have had a large and a small for years, almost never use the small. i did pick up a vision mini kub this year thats getting lots of use. if i did it over again it would be a large and a mini and years ago i would have never picked the mini.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited November 2013
    Started with a Small as "First Egg". Then a Large and a Mini. Sold the Small as just never used. Bought a second Mini and that did not work as I thought it would. Now have 2 Larges and a Mini. The Mini gets 70% of the work. I have now what I think is just right. Next week I will have a turkey on one and a ham on the other with cooks food on the Mini. Life is good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Second large gets my vote.  Mini can be #3! :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited November 2013
    I'm blessed with an understanding wife who actually bought 3 of my 4 eggs for me! My seldom used egg is my mini. My medium egg is strictly for baking cakes and breads and has never had meat inside. My perfect combo is my small and my large which I swear by. Then in actuality my small gets 60% of all my cooks. I love my small BGE!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I would go large over medium for a second egg. You will find many more accessories available for the large that aren't available for the medium.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • I have 2 LBGE's and love the idea of 2 Eggs however I haven't had the opportunity to use the 2 together as of yet but I think Iwill be on thanksgiving.image
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    i have an XL/Small setup love it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited November 2013
    I have 1 XL and 2 L. The second L was a cheap impulse buy and supposed to be for baking only but I'm not really into baking yet. Nowadays I use my XL more than the two L combined.  With lump reducing ring (see my other recent posts) the XL is easy on lump; I like the extra real estate, especially for multiple butts and rib cooks, no burned edges.  Even for small cooks, by piling lump on one side, or using area outside the lump reducer, XL allows for direct and indirect zones at the same time, works nicely like a weber kettle.  Used to have a Small too, had trouble getting it to high temp for indirect cook, p/s chokes the air flow (High Q grate could have helped but I didn't bother).
    canuckland
  • Small / Large combo just this year is perfect for my family of 4 and the small is getting a larger share of the day to day stuff.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• My mini is perfect to cook for our family's daily needs since there's only 4 of us and 2 of my kids are around 5 years old (they don't eat much yet). Plus, it's portable so my large / mini is our perfect combo. 

I do have a small too though and my small only gets used if we require a little more food (ie. relative visiting) or if we do big cooks for 10+ people (large / small). 

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts