Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken fire box

Options
I have a medium egg i bought off of craigslist, i've had it for about a year and the fire box is completely broken.
is this still under warranty? i'm ok with it if its not, but would like some info on replacing it.
any ideas?
Thank you

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Sad to say, the normal response for Eggs bought from CL (or any other unauthorized reseller) is that they are not eligible for warranty coverage.  Always worth a try though I say!

Good luck!

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• revolver1
    Options
    You are out of luck for warranty replacement.  Contact your nearest Egg dealer or the main office.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Not strictly under warranty, but you could try talking to a local dealer and see what happens. 

Does it really matter if the firebox (or firering for that matter) is cracked? as long as it can be put together to hold the grate up, so charcoal stays put, you should be okay. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's not covered but like Cali says, the insides being cracked does not affect the performance of the egg. I have a brand new ring and box in my garage I've had for 2 years as a warranty replacement. I'm still using a box that is in 3 pieces and a ring that is 2 pcs. Work just like new. I have another ring and box that are cracked but still in 1 piece. I figure I'll save the new stuff in case a disaster happens or for trade bait :).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Either way, it's BS that they only cover the ORIGINAL owner.  They still made the product that failed, no matter who sold it or bought it.

Cars, guns, appliances, etc the warranty goes with the product, not the owner.

I can see if they put a limit on the coverage for second owners......3, 5, 10 yrs old.  Cancelling the warranty altogether is poor business and really unfair to those that may receive one as a gift, inheritance, etc. 

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I bought mine from CL and the firebox was cracked in 3 pieces but still fit together.  Get some JB Weld and don't look back.  Almost 2 years later and no problems from less than a $10 fix.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Wchapman74
    Options
    the JB Weld isn't toxic?
    anyways thanks for the replies, the firebox will do for now.
    Ilike to remove it completely when I clean the ash out and with it broken its kind of a pain to get it all back together. know one said Humty Dumpty was a Green Egg
    :D