Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Loving my new Small from Eggtoberfest!

Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just fired up my brand new Small tonight (well, okay, it was cooked on ONCE at Eggtoberfest.) I absolutely had to try a T-Rex steak on it, after everybody told me how great the Small was for this purpose.[p]First, it was really nice using so much less charcoal. I had to put some lump back in the bag because it filled up so much more quickly than my Large.[p]Secondly, I was shocked at how fast I got up past 700F. After reading some posts on here about the Small taking a long time to get up to temp, I expected it would take a half hour or more. Instead, I was at 720F just 18 minutes after plugging in the electric charcoal starter. I'm not sure that's any slower than my Large![p]Finally, I confirmed that the Small really is a fantastic grill for steak. My wife and I split a thick tenderloin filet. It was tremendous.[p]The only problem I had was that the bottom sliding vent was very loose. I just pulled the door out completely, bent it a little, and put it back in. That little extra bend provided a much better seal.[p]Well, like I said, I'm just loving this Small. Now, can anybody tell me what those tools are for that I got with my t-shirts (I know it's a dumb question, but I'd hate to let them sit just because I'm too embarassed to ask...)

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Eggtuary,
    Loving my small too. The one with the hook is a meat hook, grab the meat and flip it using the hook. I had been looking at a Lawn Ranger one until I got the one at the fest. The other I heard someone say is a grid cleaner. I'd be careful on a new porcelin(sp?) coated one though. It also probably would function as a grid lifter too. Lawn Ranger also makes one of those that looks a bit different.[p]Dennis

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    dhuffjr,[p]Congrats to you both on your new additions!![p]The "Small" is a great little cooker...enjoy!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Eggtuary,[p]I too made it home with a small. Taking it tailgating this weekend if I can get it to cool down long enough to load it up. [p]The Hulk
  • VW Gal
    VW Gal Posts: 42
    Eggtuary,[p]Glad you're loving your small! I got one, too. (already had a large) and cooked 3 loaves of pumpkin bread on it last night. It was so neat being out in the fall air after dark and smelling that bread booking.
    Terri

• dhuffjr
    Chubby,
    Now I need some gratemates![p]Dennis

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    dhuffjr,[p]I've had the standard pigtail flipper. Plan on ordering the Lawn Ranger one soon. I went through 2 of the standard ones in just about no time. The wood splits and warps and the handles fall apart. I'm a pigtail flipper person and my flipper from Lawn has been used, abused, and otherwise tormented and is in perfect shape.[p]mShark
  • Chubby
    dhuffjr,[p]Well...you might not NEED them....but since when is that a criteria?[p]Christmas does approacheth you know!![p]Maybe Santa BBq's?[p]Evans[p]PS...I have been dropping hints to the Elves around here, where Chubby is concerned!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • dhuffjr
    Chubby,
    Man don't go saying that. The wife will start reading the forum anyday now:>)[p]Putting a couple of Boston Butts on Thursday night, she's already talking about her doing one and me the other. I feel a little family competition comming on.

• Chubby
    vwgal,[p]Well...well..well...there she is....[p]you posting thang you!!!!![p]
    Pumpkin bread....where are the pictures??[p]
    Did you get my email?[p]Evans[p]PS...I'd like to add you to my address book idf that's ok?[p]I know I'm of questionable character...(offering Tequilla to you and all), but if you'd email me your addy/phone# (off the board), I'd be gratefull!![p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Chubby,
    How much Tequilla did you offer and how much did she drink?[p]Mike

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Car Wash Mike,
    No wonder he didn't have any food to offer me when I came by for a visit at Eggtoberfest. Not only did Evans "not have anything on," he probably didn't have much time available to cook with trying to get the ladies all liquored up! Evans is quite the "hound"![p]Jimbo[p]

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • Car Wash Mike
    vwgal,[p]I know you are just dying to know. Bananna nut bread is my favorite.
    I have had little sucees with breads on the egg. That means the kitchen, which usually doesn't go over very good.[p]Mike

• VW Gal
    Car Wash Mike,
    I actually DID loose sleep waiting to know this valuable information! LOL! The pumpkin bread I made was outta dis world! :o) [p]Terri

• Car Wash Mike
    vwgal,
    Why do I think you're funnin me? Is that a southern word? LOL[p]Mike

• VW Gal
    Chubby,
    I know, I know. See what that tequila did? Had to "let my hair down" a minute and just go for it! LOL! No pics...too dark outside, sorry. If I took pics now, you'd accuse me of baking them in the oven! :oP [p]Yes, I got your email and I'm sending you my info. BTW, luvin' my gratemates!! [p]Terri

• VW Gal
    Car Wash Mike,
    He cannot reveal that information because he knows my Dad reads the forum! LOL!!! Even though I'm 40, I know I'm not too old for him to kick my tail! (although, mind you, I'm perfect and he never has to do that..(sheepish grin)[p]Terri

• VW Gal
    Car Wash Mike,
    who me??? I wouldn't do anything like that. :oP[p]Terri

• Car Wash Mike
    vwgal,[p]I have his cell, if it ever works again. They really should have a unwritten rule. What happens at Eggfest, stays at Eggfest.[p]Mike
  • Chubby
    JimboBQ,[p]Jim...JIm...Jim!!![p]You give me much too much credit!![p]Who do you think I am...Sandbagger??[p]Although not irresistable....more than a Lady or two, has been heard to exclaim...[p]"A little Chubby is hard to walk away from....once experienced...even harder to leave alone"!![p]Chubby