Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip help ???

Chef Wil
Chef Wil Posts: 702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just ordered a case of tri-tip from sams, whats your best way of cooking this including rub, marinade, etc. Yes, I need help too and not afraid to ask........... hehehe[p]I have never cooked or even seen tri-tip and its time I heat up my eggs, its been over a month since I had those green things hot.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Chef Wil,
    These are really good.
    Larry

[ul][li]Tri -Tip[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Chef Wil,
    I have yet to be able to find a tri-tip in my locale, but we do have a Sam's. With your buying a case of them that brings me hope! Was it special order or does your Sam's carry them regularly? Is that what they call them?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Chef Wil,
    We like ours T-Rexed. Just season with salt and pepper, sear both sides at 700 and, when the Egg cools, finish at 400 to an internal 135 to 140. The grain can be a little tricky to figure out, but the flavor's worth it.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Chef Wil,[p]I like to blacken them and serve with a mango or other fruit salsa. It is always a hit and a nice departure from most Tri Tip recipes. See link for detailed recipe. Let us know how your first Tri Tip cook goes!

[ul][li]Bryan's Blackened Tri Tip[/ul]
  • Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Chef Wil,
    It is funny you should mention this. I bought my egg back in 1998 on blind faith that it was the best cooker in the world based on a tri-tip my best friend had out in San Fran. I have yet to cook a tri-tip, as I can't find them around here! I have seen some rarely at Sams, so I will have to try one soon. Please take pic's of your cook if possible, and share your results! I am gonna have to try one soon.
    Seth

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Chef Wil,
    I haven't decided on a favorite approach, but I'm tending to like it simple--salt pepper and some garlic in a little bath of olive oil for a few hours. Light sear and pull it rare. Taste a lot like a good flank steak but the texture is less stringy. Not much fat on these guys. I get them at Trader Joes or my local butcher. My local Sam's sells small pieces called tri-tip but the store hasn't had the entire roast. The pieces aren't the same texture--they have more marbling. Still very good. I'm looking forward to hearing how you decided to prep & cook.

• WVU-Egg
    WVU-Egg Posts: 101
    Chef Wil,
    I've had the tri tip roasts and the have the tri tip strips that were about 1 1/2 inches thick and about 1 1/2 wide. I've tried a bunch of different rubs and my favorite on them by far is Cow Lick. And I seared the strips at 750 and then just shut down the vents and flipped once to medium rare. The strips didn't take long at all.[p]

• Chef Wil,
    "...and I'll be able to make tri tip on it", was my final point before my wife agreed to letting me get an egg. Having gone to school 1/2 hour north of Santa Maria, and now living 1 hour south, we've seen tri tip every which way. Italian dressing, red wine/soy, teriaki, and just about any other steak type marinades will work. However, we think the best is the original salt, pepper and garlic powder. Trex, done-ness to your liking. A simple sandwich of warm tri tip, salsa (fresh preferred, but not necessary) on a french roll is immensely satisfying, and never seems to get old. Enjoy.

• smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    RRP,check your e mail. i need rutland gaskets

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    tritip3.jpg
    <p />Chef Wil,
    Speaking from a bad experience. Keep those suckers small. Around 2 1/2 lbs max. I coat with EVOO and rub with Cowlick. Cook direct at 350. Very important not to over cook them.
    I pull at 135 wait 10 minutes and slice. Jeff Hughes cooked a bunch at OK. He pulled at 125 and sliced at 135.
    Slice against the grain.[p]tritip2.jpg[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike,
    What is the function of EVOO on meat?

• Chef Wil,
    I have been eating tri tips since birth, well almost. My dad always cooked them with little or no seasoning over mesquite. My Uncle recently gave me his recipe and this is far and away my favorite marinade. IMHO, it's amazing and a must try:
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    3 Tablespoons honey
    2 Tablespoons mustard
    1 teespoon minced garlic
    1 Tablespoon EVO
    Small amount to taste (we usually use about 1 teespoon) Lowery's[p]We marinade at least 4 hours and prefferably overnight.
    I have cooked them direct and indirect and both ways have there benefits.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    me,[p]Here is a link.
    [ul][li]Link.[/ul]