Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some ideas for Saturday night

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
We are having some friends over for dinner/drinking on Saturday night.  Problem is I am limited on time for the cook.

I will not be home from 12 to 5.  Egg will not be left on when I am not home.  So I either need a cook for a few hours Saturday morning and re heat it later in the evening (after 6 - not sure if this will work out great) or a 1-2 hour cook at most. 

I would like some appetizers as well and only have a LGBE so room is limited.

Would love a tri-tip but around here they think that is from Mars.  Dont want plain steaks or plain chicken.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    How about a stuffed pork loin? You could use the rest of the grill space for pig shots or ABTs...

Check out this recipe:
    http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/stuffed_pork_loin_roast.html

Best of luck!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    spatchcocked chicken takes an hour at 400 raised direct. Easy cook
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Flat iron with chimichurri? Wings? A whole mess of various appetizers?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Could do a chili or stew in the morning, then cool and reheat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    edited November 2013
    I do this for company a lot. Chicken with goat & cream cheese. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Heavy appetizers that could be prepped the day prior like pig shots, and you could do Salmon for dinner which only takes about 15 minutes to cook.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Salmon always turns out well and is a quick cook too.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • +2 for salmon, but if you don't like fish, how about a meatloaf.  Can make in the AM and only about an hour or so to cook, plus plenty of room left for apps

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Pork Tenderloins, they cook quick and don't take much room so you can do apps
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Turbo butt? Do it on Fri or Saturday morning?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    TURBO BUTTS.

· Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to around 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!
    · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein )
    . Note: The butt box is not required.
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.

• robnybbq
    Thought about pork tenderloins or stuffed loins.

I have a few frozen tenderloins that I rubbed down a few weeks back that we had to freeze as an emergency came up.  I am planning on cooking them one day but am I better off getting fresh tenderloins for the party on Saturday?  (I am not a fan of frozen meats).  maybe some marinated shrimp?

Flat Iron with chimmichurri sounds like a good idea as well.  Maybe a bunch of smaller things and just eat like tappas.  Flat iron steak, chicken rolls, shrimp something, .  Hmm.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Mickey said:
    TURBO BUTTS. · Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to around 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.
    Does this pull apart like a low n slow pork butt?  Enough smoke flavor cooking at that temp?  I dont know if  ican get 5 hours this weekend but want to try a turbo butt in the future.

Garnerville, NY
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Pork tenderloin sliders ala @NibbleMeThis. Did these for a bunch of guys on a dove hunt, everybody loved them. Just carmelize the onions and make the cabbage ahead of time. Grilling should take less than 30 minutes tops. Use a really sharp knife or electric knife to slice thin.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    robnybbq said:
    Mickey said:
    TURBO BUTTS. · Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to around 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.
    Does this pull apart like a low n slow pork butt?  Enough smoke flavor cooking at that temp?  I dont know if  ican get 5 hours this weekend but want to try a turbo butt in the future.

IMO the same as low and slow. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Shrimp or any other kabobs. Prepped the night before.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • robnybbq
    OK I did not take pics as I was drinking and entertaining

Made the following

Chicken bites

- chicken breasts cut up into 1 inch chunks
    - dusted with Tsunami Spin and Raging River rubs
    - wrapped in bacon

***Basting Sauce***
    - 1/3 cup brown sugar
    - 1/4 cup honey
    - 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    - 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar

Cooked chicken to 160 - put on basting sauce and servered - These were awesome

Andouille/cheese dip/spread

Smoked the andouille the night before then refridgerated overnight

- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
    - 4 ounces (1 cup) shredded monterey jack or other white cheese
    - 1 cup finely diced andouille sausage
    - 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimiento, drained
    - 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Cooked for ~ 45 minutes in the Egg 350 indirect

Came out good - may need to add some more heat like Jalepenos next time.

Hanger steak with Chimichurri sauce

Sauce
    - 2 cups fresh parsley and/or cilantro, firmly packed
    - 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves (optional)
    - 3-6 cloves of garlic
    - 2 tablespoons chopped onion
    - 1/2 cup olive oil
    - 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (optional)
    -1 tablespoon lime juice (optional)
    - Kosher salt and red pepper flakes to taste

Cooked 2 nice hanger steaks - one medium rare and one medium well.  This was my first time making and trying chimichurri sauce and it was awesome.

Baked Pasta with Chicken Sausage

Smoked the chicken sausage the night before

- 1 tablespoon olive oil
    - 1 medium red onion, chopped
    - 4 cloves garlic, minced
    - 1/4 cup vodka (optional)
    - 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes with juice, lightly crushed with hands 
    - 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    - 1/2 cup heavy cream
    - 1 pound rigatoni
    - 10 ounces baby spinach
    - 12 ounces smoked chicken sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
     - 6 ounces fontina cheese, 4 ounces cut into 1/2-inch cubes and 2 ounces coarsely grated 
     - 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic. Remove from heat; add vodka, if desired. Return to heat; cook until almost evaporated, 1 minute.
    2. Stir in tomatoes and oregano; cook until tomatoes are falling apart, 10 to 15 minutes. Add cream; cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper
    3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook pasta in the boiling water until al dente, according to package instructions. Add spinach, and cook just until wilted. Drain, and return contents to pot.
    4. Add tomato sauce, sausage, and cubed fontina to pot; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Divide evenly between two shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dishes.
    5. Top with grated fontina and Parmesan. Bake until browned and edges are crisp, 20 to 30 minutes

The sausage was cooked on the Egg and we baked the rest in the oven as we had no room on the Egg.  This came out great but would have been excellent if had some smoke - next time on the Egg.

All in all it was a good dinner party.  Lots of drinks with friends - Head hurt on Sunday.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Oh and just convinced our friends to get an Egg - Taking them shopping soon.

Garnerville, NY