Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mesquite egg handle

I have been struggling with my design and weather considerations for my table that is apparently only in developmental stages. So, chopping at the bit, to get cooking, I bought a rolling nest and mates from one if you guys, and intend to get cooking.

This didn't satisfy my immediate need to be creative in my new eggventure, so I made a new handle for the egg to hold me over while I tweak my design for the table. I had plenty of scrap mesquite laying around from other projects but not enough to tackle a full table. So I milled a handle of the same shape and dimension of the stock plastic handle on the new eggs. I intend to use waterlox finish (a tung oil product) on it as well as the table. But here is a picture if the raw wood on the trial fit to the metal frame. It is halved, with a recess for metal frame, and I used the same screws, and I countersunk from the back and tapped them into the face.
Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.

Comments

• That looks great! Mesquite ain't just for smoking, eh?
    Flint, Michigan
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    One if my favorite woods. Machines beautifully, but man is it expensive in larger pieces. I looked at some 2 inch and 4 inch think slices out I a single log. They wanted between $1200-$1800 each for them! I would love to build my whole table out if mesquite with one of those slabs, sapwood, and
    bark...book matched for the table top. Somewhere along the way, big money started paying that for mantels, counters, and tables, do the wood is harder to get in reasonable prices per board foot. I used to get I in the $4 range, it
    Is now more than $12 unless it
    Is not highly figured, but most of it is. They are goig to ruin the chip business! Mesquite grilled steaks, does it get any better?
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    Nice work. Love the grain.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Looks like you are like me and think the plastic handle is cheep looking. It is a shame they have to lower their standards and go to plastic, and I bet they didn't lower their price either........

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • That looks great.  I love working with mesquite myself, both in the BGE and in the shop.   It looks gorgeous and only gets better with age, as I'm sure you know.  I just bought a gallon of waterlox last week (stuff ain't cheap!) and am sealing some new alder doors with it.   Waterlox is wonderful stuff, and works very well with mesquite... happy trails
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2013
    That looks great! Mesquite ain't just for smoking, eh?
    Nice handle, amazing you found a chunk of mesquite that hasn't been turned into charcoal. 

Hey Fred, you must be burning that Maple Leaf - you sound like you are from across the river..eh?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Very cool. So much nicer than plastic, and a "bbq wood" too!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice! I had no idea mesquite was so valuable. We bulldoze it down, cut it with a chainsaw and either cook on it or use it for bonfires. We can't get rid of it fast enough at the ranch.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• txav8r
    If you have a nice big log, instead of bulldozing it, how about letting a fellow egger have it!
  • Griffin
    Sure thing. Where you located? We'll be down there (goliad) for thanksgiving.

Rowlett, Texas

• txav8r
    I'm in Valley View, north of Denton and Sanger.  They have some BIG mesquite in Goliad I hear! 
  • Griffin
    I'll see what I can drag back. We've got a log splitter and I usually try and bring some back to cut up into chunks when I get home. What kind of sizes are you looking for?

Rowlett, Texas

• txav8r

Whatever I can get Griffin, beggars can't be choosy!  If I had any log, I would take it to a saw mill near me and have them quarter saw it if it were large enough.  If not, then just layer it and work with what I had.  Most of what you get is limb I am presuming, and great for firewood.  But most wood needed for woodworking will be larger diameter stuff and long enough to run through mill.  Mesquite is not long, straight wood to begin with.  And it is dense and heavy!  So I am not thinking this is something you can throw in the SUV!  Even a 12" diameter log would be great but if it were a little larger of 4' to 5', it would provide a few board feet of heartwood.  It may be that I would have make a trip to get it!  But I don't have a chain saw big enough to cut what I would like.  Thank you for the offer, but this may be too much to ask.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited November 2013
    That looks great! Mesquite ain't just for smoking, eh?
    Nice handle, amazing you found a chunk of mesquite that hasn't been turned into charcoal. 

Hey Fred, you must be burning that Maple Leaf - you sound like you are from across the river..eh?
    I grew up in metro Detroit where trips to Windsor (where the minimum drinking age was 19) were not unusual.  I've been to a few bachelor parties at the Canadian Ballet, too.  Not to mention watching Hockey Night in Canada! 
    Flint, Michigan