Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to smoke a turkey?

Please don't be too hard on me for asking ( I know this is probably asked every year ) . How do you guys smoke your turkeys. I am having thanksgiving at my house this year and I have been asked to smoke a turkey on my Egg. I am thinking about brining. What's your thoughts?
Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    DON'T use very much wood. Birds can't take a lot of smoke.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Look up the mad-max method.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Only had my egg for a couple weeks so we decided to do a test turkey thus past Sunday.
    I followed this recipee pretty close...

I started with an 13 lb fresh bird... a few apple wood  chunks in the pit and some apple wood chips in the cavity.  Didnt brine or inject...but everything else to a tee... was by far the most jucy I have ever had...and I deep fried for years.

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    caliking said:
    Look up the mad-max method.
    Done Mad Max and @mickey version.

@mickey version hands down.  Please don't tell him I said that.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Brine and cook indirect at 350F. Season to match your tastes. Light on the wood for smoke. We like to use cherry, nice flavor and great color.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's easier to smoke a cigar... Turkeys are a **** to light.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    And you need rolling papers the size of a table cloth.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    henapple said:

It's easier to smoke a cigar... Turkeys are a **** to light.

how long are you drying them out for?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    edited November 2013
    skip the brine and go with the mad max recipe if you like good gravy. it loooks intimidating when you first look at the recipe but if you dont do everything he has written it still works out fine. here it is simplified with a 9 pound chicken done my way. salt the interior and stuffed with an apple and onion, and a lemon. salt the exterior then smear softened butter on top, add an herb rub, this one got a newengland favorite Bells seasoning and some black pepper. put the bird in the egg legs facing the hot spot(towards the rear hinge). put some lowsodium chicken stock in the pan to prevent burning and pour some white wine on the turkey (at this point its early in the morning, no ones looking, you can drink some of that wine right out of the bottle, save the last cup for the gravey) 325 til 160 in the breast. turkey is done,rest it for a half hour to 45 minutes while everthing else is getting ready like the gravey, if you dont know how to make a gravy from a roux read the max max and follow directions

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have made the madmax gravy it is fantastic.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • batboy
    batboy Posts: 26
    I second (or third or fourth) the spatchcock advice.  Did a spatchcock turkey last year for TGiving while my skeptical father did his traditional oven roasted bird.  It wasn't even a close competition.  Side by side during carving my turkey was flowing juice from the breast with every slice, while the traditional bird gave traditionally bland and semi-dry white meat.  There were no leftovers from the spatchcocked turkey, only from the oven roasted. . .