Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori Chicken Again

Last night's cook, the best yet.  Aurora Creations spice mix. Roughly 30 minutes at 500 degrees.  Mesquite chips.

Dave
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Very nice, just indirect with Plate setter setup?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Nice cook, love quarters.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • DMW said:
    Very nice, just indirect with Plate setter setup?
    Yep, very simple and easy.  Platesetter legs up in a Woo2 (elevates the grid a bit).  In the past I would take the platesetter out for some direct crispy very briefly after the meat came to temperature, but this time the meat looked great right at time to remove.  Perhaps the large amount of mesquite smoke helped.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Looks good from here. Love your experiments with tandoori chicken :) Where do you get the Aurora spice rub from? I haven't seen it around here. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • these chicken quarters look delicious.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Looks killer! 
  • caliking said:
    Looks good from here. Love your experiments with tandoori chicken :) Where do you get the Aurora spice rub from? I haven't seen it around here. 
    I found it Whole Foods in Franklin Tennessee.  They do sell on-line I think.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Where have you been hiding?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dave_Matthews
    Dave_Matthews Posts: 204
    edited November 2013
    henapple said:
    Where have you been hiding?
    In June I got a full time job in LaVergne, TN.  Prior to that I was a consulting controls engineer for the last 20 years, and I had plenty of time at my home office to engage in internet communities.  My wife worked all those 20 years at The Adventure Science Center (Cumberland Science Museum), and she wanted to retire.  Since her work was supplying our health insurance, I decided to join the staff of one of my clients, Process Welding Systems, and become the health insurance provider.  Fun work, but it has kept me away from free time on the internet -but not cooking- (I  made killer ribs the weekend before this).  Now that I've gotten used to the new routine I plan to be back and active here again, thanks for noticing my absence.

Dave

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Hey Dave, I had made references to you in the past in a few of the cooks peeps had, Cant remember. But heard nothing back. I had even made a home made tandoor contraption for my small egg. Search might find it.

Nice to have you back on the Tandoor front line.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    Aviator said:

+1 :)

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited November 2013
    Nice carmelization and juicy meat! Did you leave the skin on? if so, how was it?  One of my kids prefers chicken with skin but I've never tried tandoori chicken with skin.
    canuckland
  • henapple
    I'll have to swing by Lavergne with a bag of Ozark for you to try.
  • Aviator said:

Hey Dave, I had made references to you in the past in a few of the cooks peeps had, Cant remember. But heard nothing back. I had even made a home made tandoor contraption for my small egg. Search might find it.

I am happy with the BGE tandoor, but I know it is not the real thing.  Still better than a simple oven solution that even some of the better Indian restaurants use.  I like the flavor no matter how it is cooked.

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Dave_Matthews
    Dave_Matthews Posts: 204
    edited November 2013
    Nice carmelization and juicy meat! Did you leave the skin on? if so, how was it?  One of my kids prefers chicken with skin but I've never tried tandoori chicken with skin.
    Naya, skin off.  Shallow knife slits, 20 hrs marinade, no more than 24.  This is the first time I had such good bark with tandoori chicken and I will try to repeat it soon using the same lump and mesquite chips.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • henapple said:
    I'd like that!  615-793-7020 is the business number, ask for Dave the Big Green Egg-head, that will give them a laugh.  Have you tried the tandoori at The Clay Pit in Murfreesboro?  I need to go back there soon and inquire if it is a real tandoor oven.  I've been there three times and the food is very good.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Being a Brit, I love Indian food. There's a new Restaurant in Cool Springs called The House of India (they moved from West End in Nashville) due to open later this month. They showed me their two new Tandoors. They were made in West London, where I was born and raised!! There food is ace. I just bought some long skewers to do a first Indian cook with marinated chicken chunks - a la tikka! Baby steps first.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• caliking
    Naya, skin off.  Shallow knife slits, 20 hrs marinade, no more than 24.  This is the first time I had such good bark with tandoori chicken and I will try to repeat it soon using the same lump and mesquite chips.
    Yup - skin off and cutting slits in the meat is the way to go. Yet to see tandoori chicken done skin-on anywhere. 

@HDumptyEsq - if you are interested in long skewers, check out nishienterprise.com

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Clay Pit is good. !!!

I have picked up some good Vindaloo and naan from them.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple

henapple said:

I'd like that!  615-793-7020 is the business number, ask for Dave the Big Green Egg-head, that will give them a laugh.  Have you tried the tandoori at The Clay Pit in Murfreesboro?  I need to go back there soon and inquire if it is a real tandoor oven.  I've been there three times and the food is very good.

I wouldn't know a tandoori from a tsunami... The Clay Pit is good. I'll try to swing by and drop off a bag.
  • caliking said:
    I found it Whole Foods in Franklin Tennessee.  They do sell on-line I think.
    I'm sitting in my office right over I-65 from there but live on the East Side.  Never cooked tandoori chicken so can't really add to the thread, just wanted to be part of the Middle TN gang.
  • Cool!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR