Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What can you do with a Large adjustable rig?

So I am cooking for a birthday party this weekend... 4 racks of spare ribs and an 8lb. pork butt. I put the butt on last night at 6:30 and the ribs on at 9:30 this morning.

I could have easily fit another pork shoulder on this setup... but I am curious what you guys have done with your rigs. I'm always looking for ideas for new things to try.  :)

SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    "The Chicken"

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger
    Forgot to post the link to the recipe.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Loosemoose
    Loosemoose Posts: 295
    edited November 2013
    I was really hoping to see different set ups people use on the LBGE. I am wanting to get something for my egg as all I have now is BGE's folding raised grid and its a real pain to deal with.
    I've seen the websites for some of the options out there but it's hard for me to visualize what they would be like.

Is this AR a pretty nice rig for expanding surface area? Easy to use?

Any help is appreciated.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Did you start the butt on the D rack high in the dome overnight and then add the racks later, or did the butt start on a lower rack and get moved?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thats a pretty cool looking rack setup...can you provide any more info on it?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic said:
    Thats a pretty cool looking rack setup...can you provide any more info on it?
    Ceramic Grill Store
    Mamaroneck
  • Dredger said:
    "The Chicken"

• That looks great. How did you do that? Looks like it came out of the deep fryer.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    @caliking - I Started the butt on the D grid in the dome. It never moved.

Also threw on some pig shots and ABTs when the meat finished...

• Dredger
    pigoutsc, The recipe is on The Naked Whiz website. It is from AZRP. The Chicken was an easy recipe. I just followed the instructions except for the veggies underneath the chicken since I made potato salad instead of roasted veggies. Also, instead of using my platesetter, I used the pizza stone on the lower rack of the AR to provide indirect setup. I know it's hard to tell with all of the foil, but it was the first time I used the AR and just had to foil it. The stone on the bottom, drip pan next, then the grilling rack. I'm much better now and don't foil it, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • jtippers
    Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic said:
    Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic - Check out www.ceramicgrillstore.com. The website is a little overwhelming, so when you get confused like I did, give them a call. I worked with Tom (who is also the owner of the company. He is also the one who answered the phone.) and figured out exactly what I was looking for. I have no regrets so far!

• jtippers
    Loosemoose - See the thread linked below... It is what I ordered, hopefully the pics in it help.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157160/new-adjustable-rig-came-in-today-pics-included#latest

• jtippers said:
    Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic said:
    Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic - Check out www.ceramicgrillstore.com. The website is a little overwhelming, so when you get confused like I did, give them a call. I worked with Tom (who is also the owner of the company. He is also the one who answered the phone.) and figured out exactly what I was looking for. I have no regrets so far!

Much thanks...I'll check it out...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Dfishel
    Dfishel Posts: 104

What can you do with a Large adjustable rig? - Just ask my wife!!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

@Loosemoose don't get rid of the BGE grate extender just yet. You can get it to work with the AR for an extra level even higher up.

Just make sure to take out the dome theremometer. It will end up hitting your meat.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jtippers
    Griffin said:

@Loosemoose don't get rid of the BGE grate extender just yet. You can get it to work with the AR for an extra level even higher up.

Just make sure to take out the dome theremometer. It will end up hitting your meat.

Holy bat flaps man... that had not even dawned on me. That makes a total of FOUR possible cooking levels on the Large BGE!

• i didnt see on cgs where i can buy extra rods and extend the adj rig... maybe im just missing it
    Beaufort, SC
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    A couple of cooks on the adjustable rig...

2 levels of wings over stuffed hot dogs:

wings over bacon wrapped tater tots and stuff fritos
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • caliking
    @smak - I'm considering an AR too. Do you need to rotate racks when you load it up like in the first pic? Or do you just load it up, indirect, and pull the dogs when they get done? I imagine the wings took longer.

• jtippers
    @smak - I had never dreamed of bacon wrapped tot... Until tonight! :)

• smak
    smak Posts: 199
    @caliking  That cook was awhile back I do not remember exactly what I did.  It was setup indirect (stone on the spider) with a drip pan.  Most likely I rotated the two wings racks a couple times through the cook.  You can rotate those two levels without pull the rig out of the egg.

The dogs were probably done a bit earlier but not by too much.  They are wrapped in bacon so that has to cook.  And they are positioned in the cooler part of the setup.  You do have to pull the rig out to remove that level.  It is very is to pickup the whole rig and move it around.  

I have done 3 levels of st. louis cut ribs (2 slabs on each level).  Rotated those throughout the cook process with good results.

@jtippers  I got the bacon wrapped tot idea on the forums.  Good results.  You can roll them in maple syrup and dust with some rub before putting them on.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited November 2013
  • caliking
    edited November 2013
    @Canugghead - are those 5 levels I see in your setup (4th pic)? Can you cook on all 5 levels, or is that just for really thin items like jerky? What extra parts did you buy for that setup? (sorry full of questions). 

The jerky looks terrific, btw.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited November 2013
    @caliking - I ordered the AR with just two pairs of braces and one smaller ss round grid that fits 'inside' only.  For the above setup, I had original BGE grid + 1 Weber grid + grid that came with AR + 2 grids from ECB. I also used hanger wires to fabricate 3rd pair of braces at the time (I've since replaced it with a custom made pair during a visit to Kolkata - bought a pair of ss skewers from New Market and visited a roadside blacksmith!)

Use this setup for jerky only.  For hot smoking the bottom cooks much faster than the higher levels, guess it would work better for cold smoking.  Jerky needed frequent rotating, not a big deal since I finish jerky in dehydrator after it picked up smoke and lost the messy drips.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    @Canughead: Thanks for the info, Gary.

You crack me up - if only the smiths knew what you were up to! My dad lives 10mins from New Market. I'll go root around there for bbq hardware next time I'm home. I usually find some cool things in Burra Bazaar (that's where I got my 20" tava) and Chandni. Good tip.

• Thanks all for the additional information. I will be ordering myself an AR from Santa.
    Nowhere Indiana