Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy Chicken Wings with Seven-Spice-Powder Marinade

This recipe is from my Japanese Grill Book (@CPARKTX, it's on p. 55).  It is firey hot but has a pleasing after taste.
Obviously, from the marinade ingredients, the shichimi togarashi is the culprit for the fire.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Those look splendid. Love the color on them. Is shichimi togarashi the same as nanami togarashi? I love the heat of nanami togarashi in stir fries, etc.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cal,
    I googled and found this:

Nanami-Togarashi: Similar to shichimi-togarashi, but with a slightly different blend featuring citrus peel.

I'm sure I couldn't tell the difference.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    VI, did ya remove the skins on some of those? The reason I ask is, Asian cooking frequently goes with skinless chicken.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator,

No, the recipe didn't call for that, and the skin is where all of the spice/heat was.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Looks fantastic! My list of things to cook is way longer than my list of available days to cook.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Gary, lookin at pics, there is a lot of em with bare flesh. Sometimes, when I do "Asian" I skin em. Just like tandoori... You need to get the "meat" get into the bite.

But, but, ..... Who am I saying this to? You the MASTER! I really like what you do and therein come the questions.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You have a point though @Aviator... because then you have 2 eats! Spicy grilled chicken skin is the bomb (had it last in Thailand a couple of years ago). 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator said:

Gary, lookin at pics, there is a lot of em with bare flesh. Sometimes, when I do "Asian" I skin em. Just like tandoori... You need to get the "meat" get into the bite.

But, but, ..... Who am I saying this to? You the MASTER! I really like what you do and therein come the questions.

Watch out for "Big Head" Syndrome!  Of course that would never happen to a grounded, level-headed soul such as VI!

Flint, Michigan
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited November 2013
    Aviator said:

I do skin the chicken in most Asian recipes, including all stir fry recipes that have chicken.  This is Japanese, not Chinese, and it is also grilled and not stir fried.  The author of the book is Tadashi Ono, so I think he knows what is authentic.  It appears that when he has wings or half chicken, he leaves the skin on.  Chicken breasts are normally skinned (with exception).

In this case, I liked the skin on.  As I said in my first post, it had crispy skin and the skin was very spicy and hot.  I like that.

@Fred19Flintstone I am nothing but a beggar for information from the experts on this forum, such as you, Griffin, Mickey and Hapster.  Sometimes, I will post my pitiful slop, hoping that I will be accepted by the community in general ... only to find out how inadequate I am, as was verified in this thread.  There is no way this forum has given me the big head, only a big butt.

Dripping Springs, Texas.