Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pear Wood?

JimboBQ
JimboBQ Posts: 197
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have any experience with pear? We have a diseased pear tree out on the property and I'm going to have to do some limb work. I would imagine it would have sort of a light smokey taste similar to apple. Would you think it would be good to smoke some fish with?[p]Thanks,[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    JimboBQ,[p]I got some last year. It's been drying/curring for some time now. So fat I have only used it with chicken and the results ar much like you sescribed, a lite, mild smoke.[p]Smokey
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    JimboBQ,[p]I use pear, peach, cherry and apple wood almost exclusively. The fruit woods in general add a sweeter flavor to the meat. Great stuff, you'll be happy with the results.[p]Troy
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    JimboBQ,[p]Sure was good to see you...now where did you go?[p]You took one look at me and vanished!![p]As far as the Pear wood..my experience is as Smokey's...much like apple wood.[p]I've mixed it with Hickory...and Cherry.[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Evans,[p]Good to meet you too. I kept hoping you would offer me up some grub,,,,but nada. What were you cooking anyway? I tried to help close the sale with the fellow in the overalls (can't remember his name) but he said he was going to try and fabricate his own. I believe you had his daughter n law sold![p]BTW: I used my Grate Mates set up last night. I had a small tenderloin and kind of twisted it around into a "C" shape. This was so it wouldn't hang over the 8" ceramic pizza dish.1.75 hours at 350 degrees yielded great little pork medallions. We fixed some skins on mashed potatos with Yukon Gold taters with corn. Long live Grate Mates and the small BGE![p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • Chubby
    JimboBQ,[p]I don't hhink we had anything on when you stopped by.[p]I'm sure you went hungry!![p]I appreciate your kind words.[p]Evans[p]Ps...you could overnite those Tenderloins you know!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Chubby, " I don't think we had anything on when you stopped by." Man O Man, I hope everything stays in "HOT" Lanta this time around.

• Chubby
    Sigmore,[p]LOL!!![p]You're the only one who caught that!![p]Chubby[p]PS..[p]I did wear pants for the EggFest crowd in attendance.[p]