Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Basic (quick) grilling (burgers, etc)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright BGE Users . . . [p]A simple question - looking to replace the aging gass grill with a med/large BGE but was not sure how I would like the change for basic simple (quick) cooks like burgers and chicken. We are use to the quick startup and cooking on gas, but always willing to try something new . . . [p]Thanks for your thoughts, observations, whatever.[p]-b

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Bill Horton,[p]It isn't going to be that. The lump charcoal - which is 100% carbon unlike briquettes - will take about 20 min to be up to good burger cooking temps. If you're willing to take 40 min to do burgers rather than the 25-30 in the gass one, you will also find you can now do wonderful ribs, turkey like never before, steaks to die for and pizza like you can't beleive. But if fast and quick is the rule you need to go by, then come visit here once in awhile.[p]Tim
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Bill Horton,[p] Being the incredibly objective BGE'er that I am ;-), I'd have to say that you'd like the switch. It will take you a bit longer to get the BGE up to temperature but not *that* much longer, especially if you stir up the coals before each cook to ensure the airholes in the firebox aren't clogged. You will have much more flexibility with the BGE as the trade-off. Plus, after you've had a burger seared at 750F on the BGE, you won't want to go back to burgers from Ol' Gassy . . .[p]MikeO
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Hya Bill H..and welcome aboard even if visiting..Tim and Mike covered it pretty good so I won't.
    Enjoy the forum and BGE when (not if) you get one.
    Cheers..C~W

• Unknown
    Options
    Bill Horton,
    This past Saturday I served hamburgers off the BGE 19 minutes after I plugged in the electric starter. It was a very windy day which pushed the temperature to 500 in a hurry, but even without the wind it does not take long.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Carefull saying that stuff. Since I got my Egg, whenever my wife says for me to do something in the kitchen, I grab my adult beverage and tell her I need to go stir the lump and start the Egg. Works everytime, then I just hang around out on the deck. I spend alot less time in the kitchen.[p]Tim
  • Unknown
    Options
    Bill Horton,
    I too was a gas grill owner. My last two were with me for many years. With my spouse and I working, it was easy to come home and have burgers or chicken in nothing flat. FLAT is the key word. After my purchase and use of the BGE, the gassers are a thing of the past. The lump charcoal is easy to light with the electric starter and even on a still day, I can be grillin' in about 10 minutes. The flavor and beautiful results will speak for themselves. I didn't think burgers could ever be made better but even people that tried them at a pot luck, warmed up in a microwave, wondered about the recipe. I never thought that plain hamburger could have such a wonderful flavor. You will not be disappointed.[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Daddy, With that kind of talk we will have to re-tag you as "Q"Dad or "Q"Daddy...:-) I agree with ya, nothing beats a lump charcoal grilled/roasted/baked/seared or low and slow piece of meat.
    Cheers..C~W[p]