Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding wood chips during the cook

Options

I’ve used a few recipes that ask me to add wood chips during the cook, after the plate setter has been installed and the meat is on the fire.  I can’t figure out a way to do this without removing the meat and the plate-setter, adding the chips, and having the BGE open way too long.  Is there some mysterious way you folks do this?

The recipe that brought my attention to this was for a turkey which I started to brine tonight. http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/smoked-turkey/

I’d appreciate your suggestions. 

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Just mix your chips in with your lump. You won't see a lot of smoke but you will smell and taste it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I mix in chunks throughout the lump and it will smoke for over 24 hours.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I do the same as dlk7 and never have a shortage of smoke 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    +1, no need to add if you disperse it throughout
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I use dry chunks from the start,  a few dispersed around the firebox and get the desired results. i don't add anything during the cook, because i'm not a fan of moving hot items during the cook. Usually 2-3 fist sized chunks depending on what I'm cooking and for how long. Overnight cooks get more chunks.  I'm not sure I understand the benefit of wood chips mixed throughout the lump, but I'm no expert and there are many things I don't understand :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I do often add chips to the coals with the platesetter in place, before the grill/meat goes on.  I slide the tip of a garden trowel between the outer bowl and the platesetter, at about a 60-70 degree angle, and then carefully pour the chips onto the trowel from a 16-oz plastic Iowa State University beer cup purchased in October 1979 at the Kansas/ISU game (it was cloudy and cold).  I'm sure a New Mexico State University cup will work as well.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I wanted to add that, I usually don't use up that much lump during a cook, and there's a lot of unburned chips left when I start the next cook (why I've never mixed the chips throughout the lump).  But then, I've never exclaimed "OMFG there's some maple in my pecan chicken spatchcock!" either.  
    FWIW...  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    In a pinch when I felt I was out of smoke, I added a couple chunks of wood through the bottom vent and pushed them further in with the ash rake.  That way - you don't have to open the dome and believe it or not, the chunk has no problem catching and pushing smoke up through the lump and into your meat.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Just what was said is 100% correct. BUT, for those of us always riding the short yellow bus to school: Just drop the chips (chunks will  not fit) down the side and then use a tool to scrape them into the fire pit off the side. I use my GridLifter or Mini ash rake tool. Lots of things work. Think long screwdriver.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• swbouton
    Options
    Thank you all for your help.  I do appreciate it.