Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling Sous Vide users:

Options
I was thinking to do an 24 hour sous vide on eye of round (for roast beef slicing). Sear for a few minutes after souse vide. What is the minimum temp I can safely sous vide? I would like it to be medium rare. I was about to egg them but got to thinking this might be a good sous vide idea to get medium rare throughout the meat. Thoughts?

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I think it's 131*. I found our the hard way.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I cooked bone in ribeyes for 24 hours at 135 the other night, and all was great.  I was expecting a little more reddish color than what I got, but it was fine, as it was.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    ok.-- Warning. Testing in progress..! About 6.5 lbs per. Seasoned with Montreal seasoning and some garlic powder. Seared on the egg for 10 min. Then wrapped in plastic and put in an ice bath for 10 min. Then I vacuum sealed:
    In the sous vide set up at 131 degrees (per Douglas Brown online guide) and in they go for at least 24 hours:
    X_X X_X

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Supercilious_In_5280
    Options
    What am I missing. Those bags look huge where do you find to get vacuum sealed
  • Raymont
    Options
    I have a foodsaver. You can cut bag to length. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Which model foodsaver do you have? What do you like or dislike about it?

I bought an SV Demi a couple of days ago and am trying to figure out which foodsaver model to get.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    I think 130-131 would be as low as I would go.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• ringkingpin
    Options
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Raymont
    Options
    I have foodsaver V2840, got at costco for around $120. It has paid for itself just in ability to buy in bulk and then portion out and freeze for long periods. 
    Thanks Ringkingpin, I reviewed douglasbaldwin. Excellent material. I think I am good to go, but my roast is 3.5" thick and baldwin sort of tops out at 2.75". Couldn't find anything out there on thicker cuts, but am hoping at 24 hours, all bad things will be killed. I will do a ice bath once complete to get temp down quick. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• ringkingpin
    Options
    Ray, I have a thermocouple and a hyperdermic type sensor that I use for cooking.  I'm going to score some food grade tape made for this from JB Prince: http://www.jbprince.com/utensils/adhesive-tape-for-sous-vide.asp
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I always sous vide first until getting my desired temp and then sear off at the end of the cook. Anyone else do the sear first?
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    caliking said:
    Which model foodsaver do you have? What do you like or dislike about it? I bought an SV Demi a couple of days ago and am trying to figure out which foodsaver model to get.
    If you get a foodsaver make sure it's one that the roll is inside the machine. The best one I have had is the Gamesaver Pro.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Raymont
    Options
    Results of 24 hour sous vide. Overall perfect rare to medium rare. Certainly more tender than if just roasted/egged. I would certainly recommend this method. It will be my go to method. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    That's a money shot!  Do you think the pre sear helped in any way? I'm lazy and want to skip the sear  :\">
    canuckland
  • Raymont
    Options
    Yeah, I personally think the sear helps, and would do it again, but it may just be visual comfort. (I haven't tried without the sear) Certainly you would not think the 1mm of sear would transfer much taste to the meat. I have eaten several more slices since above post and SWMBO and friends all say it is fantastic. Normally eye round can be tough, but I have to say this is not at all.  

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• caliking
    Options
    Looks good! My Demi just arrived yesterday, but need to get the foodsaver before I can really play around with it.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Congrats @caliking, just remember no medium rare until caliprince is here!
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Options
    caliking said:
    Looks good! My Demi just arrived yesterday, but need to get the foodsaver before I can really play around with it.

Cali,

You can use foodsaver bags too. Just press the air out of them before you seal. As I remember there is a way to use a water bath to get the air out too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have not yet jumped to S-V, but have been reading all the threads.   My instinct would be to do the S-V for 24 hours and then sear.  On a cut that thick, I would not think you would worry about overcooking - would you?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • caliking
    Options
    Congrats @caliking, just remember no medium rare until caliprince is here!
    I know,  i know.  Had to overcook pork chops and a leg of lamb recently and a little part of me cried.  All for a good cause though! 

• caliking
    Options

Cali,

You can use foodsaver bags too. Just press the air out of them before you seal. As I remember there is a way to use a water bath to get the air out too.

Thanks for the tips,  LS.  Wont get to really  play with the Demi for 2 weeks,  so i have some time to do some research about Foodsavers.