Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to you start your egg - Add on question.

I have heard of two basic methods:

Method 1. Throw lump in, light it on top/few coals down. The fire burns from the center/top through the bottom of the lump and outward. 
Method 2. Light up some lump in the chimney and throw it in the bottom of the egg against the fire grate. Then throw fresh lump on top so the fire burns from the bottom up. Or just light some lump on the fire grate with paper towel/start cubes and then fresh lump on top once the coals are going.

What do you guys say as to these two methods or other methods? 

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I say dump the lump in the Egg, use a weedburner for 30 seconds, done. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    have done it from the top for years, last spring started putting the paper towel thru the lower vent and lighting, seems easier, quicker than even my weedburner to get a hot fire going. just find a method that works for you and go with it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    I light at the bottom of the charcoal bed, one spot (slightly forward of center) if low&slow, two spots (at around 4 and 8) if going hot&fast.  Light with about half a starter cube and once going add lump to level out the load.  Have always had good success.  As @fishlessman notes-find something that works and go with it.  Many different approaches will get you there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Always light the top at 12, 3, 6, 9 and center!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• I usually go with Method 1 but I think i will try lighting from the bottom up. Just seems like it would use up more lump.