Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sticky Damper

Options
Anyone else find it hard to maneuver your bottom damper on the large BGE? I've brushed out the tracks really well with an old toothbrush, but it's still tough to open and close. Seems to be getting worse over the years. Wondering if the metal is warping up just enough to be causing this?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Maybe a little oil or take a screwdriver and widen it out?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Thx, @henapple , I'll give that a shot.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Personally I would not use a lubricant of any kind. I believe if you just inspect it closely you'll see where the track has gotten bent. That problem is easily resolved with a flat bladed screw driver.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    +1 on no lubricant, look at other means to loosen it
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Thx fellas. I'll hold off on the lube. I'll inspect it thoroughly tomorrow. It's hot right now since I just used it, and it's dark out. I'm gonna also wash the screen door and solid door with soap and water to get all the crud off that I can.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    If you have crud on the screen then that is probably more than just dirt and soap & water may not cut it. Try Simple Green or even household ammonia...but just don't breathe the fumes if you do.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I had this same problem a while back, just set it on the cooking grate and let the egg run 600 degrees for a couple hours. Just like a clean burn it removed all the gunk and then I reseasoned it with lard just like a cast iron skillet. Works great.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    In addition to brushing out the tracks I periodically hit them with some cooking oil  and that does the trick.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.