Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt Help Please

msloan
msloan Posts: 399
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
hey guys I am doing two 8 pound butts for my mother-in-laws birthday tomorrow.....gonna have a pretty big crowd.  we're hoping to eat by 1pm.

i have done alot of reading on the turbo butt method and have seen many different opinions but from what I gather it's my understanding that if i cook these butts somewhere between 300-350 that I should on average be able to cook them to appropriate temps in about 45 minutes per pound at those temps?  does that sound about right?  so that would mean I am looking at about an hour cook plus rest time....so 9-10 hours total?????

i have also seen many different opinions on whether to foil or not......but if i choose to foil then I need to do so after probably 2-4 hours depending on when the butts hit 165 IT.....sound about right???

in offering your opinions on this keep in my mind that my goal is to have the best bark possible while maintain good moisture and tenderness. yeh i know, i want it all....lol...but i guess what I am saying is that i want to make sure i take the right steps to make sure I have some excellent bark first and foremost.

thanks in advance for your help.  I have some errands to run and I will be back in a few hours!
gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    350 until it hits 160 IT (about 3 hours or so), wrap in foil, and back on at 350 until 195 - 200 IT (About 2 hours)  Rest in a cooler for an hour and you are ready to go.  Cooking two 8 pounders does not take any longer than cooking one.  Just be sure to check temps in both.  They may not finish at the same time.
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited October 2013
    This is no endorsement of the turbo butt method but not a downer either.  The high-speed cook at high temp has it's place and RRP has a thread on here that managed to achive what you desire-hot&fast with bark, see the link-
    Personal preference-with 8# butts (one, or two or more makes no difference) and the 1 PM eat time-I would run the BGE around 250*F (calibrated dome) and start the cook around 7 PM tonight.  Should finish around 10 AM tomorrow, then FTC til ready to pull and serve.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...and remember I'm not responsible. :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2013
    I would get them on a 350* stabilized egg around 6-7am and let em cook till 200* IT or so. That should give you about 1hr or so of FTC time. If you don't want an overnighter and you want nice thick and crisp bark this is the way to go. You can research NITRO butts for a bit of info. I know @RRP just did one without foil and I think @Mickey has switched to this method. Any way you go it will be great Good luck!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

@Mickey, is this so?

I'd really like to know if you are doing this way now.

TIA

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Cut the 2 into four 4lb butts. Around an hour per lb.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I don't think that @Mickey has had the cajones to do one without foil, but I've done several that way (350 degrees, no foil) and they have been great.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I did 2 9 pounders about 6 weeks ago. Lit the egg at 6AM, butts on at 6:30, 300 deg grate temp per maverick. Finished at 12:30 without foil. Foil would have probably saved an hour. You can do it.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • msloan
    ok guys thanks for the advice....i feel confident that i can get it done.....i'm no pro but what butts i've cooked before have been low and slow....so i am going to do the hot and fast thing this time.  i'll probably start around 4am to be safe and if they get done early i will just wrap and sit em in a cooler.

i've got everything prepped....butts injected and rub applied earlier today.....sitting in the fridge wrapped up right now....i'll try to take some pics as i go tomorrow.

on a side note....it was mentioned above about cutting the butts in half.....my local kroger had several butts that had already been cut in half and i thought about getting them so i could have smaller cuts of meat to manage but i just didnt know how well that would work.....do you guys do much of that?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I do it often when neighbors ask for some. I also do each butt different for family or friends for comparison. I used to never inject but the reviews say it's better, so who am I to argue? I haven't noticed a difference when using the turbo method...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cookinbob
    Smaller cuts should cook faster, but I probably would not mix halves and wholes on the same grill, just too much work to keep track of temps.  
    Rochester, NY
  • Mattman3969
    Can't wait to see your pics of the cook!! You will be fine. Just make sure your stabilized before you put the meat on, it will make for a less stressful morning.

analyze adapt overcome

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Foghorn said:
    I don't think that @Mickey has had the cajones to do one without foil, but I've done several that way (350 degrees, no foil) and they have been great.

Have found by doing cajonies in foil and not foiling butt all is easier.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• msloan
    ok....it's 4:22 am and the butts have been on for one hour exactly @300 degrees.  toooo dark right now to get any good pics, but as the sun comes up I will try to take a few......all is going well so far......normally, i dont worry about cooking at all, but with feeding a pretty good crowd and no back up plan i'm feeling a wee bit of pressure.....lol
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    @msloan Good luck with your cook. I used to cook anywhere fron 6 to10 butts on my stick burner for church dinners, I know the feeling of "Hoping everything turns out good". I have been asked to cook pulled pork for my Niece's wedding for 100 people next month. I havent decided weather I want to do 2 cooks on the egg or 1 cook on the stick burner, The egg is easier but the stick burner is quicker.  

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• windsurfer
    windsurfer Posts: 63
    edited October 2013
    You will be fine, just think positive and forget about the crowd.
    Have a lot of booze ready that's your back up ;)
  • msloan
    You will be fine, just think positive and forget about the crowd.
    Have a lot of booze ready that's your back up ;)
    i like the way you think!!!!!!!!! 
  • msloan
    ok here is where I am at about 5 hours in, pics attached.....temp was 165 so i went ahead and made the call to wrap just to make sure i get em done in time.
  • brzelt
    brzelt Posts: 62
    Good call, you should be ready to put in the cooler around 11- 1130 I imagine.
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • msloan
    ok just pulled them at 11am.....i hope i havnt screwed up because the temps were in the mid 190's a bit ago and i wanted to get closer to 200....when i checked back a few minutes ago...one butt was at 200 and the other 203.....im hoping the 203 hasnt gone too far......currently they are in foil, wrapped in a towel sitting in a cooler.  i'm crossing my fingers.
  • Foghorn
    They will be great. And congrats on joining Mickey and the other cajoneless eggers who foil their turbo butts. ;)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mattman3969
    You will be fine. I have run them up to 215 IT before without issue. Good job on pulling this cook off!!

analyze adapt overcome

• msloan
    edited October 2013
    well everything went FABULOUS......i cooked two 8 pounders thinking that we really only needed about 9-10 pounds....BUT, everyone went back for seconds and thirds and there was not ONE bit of the meat left.....everyone couldnt say enough nice things about it.....it made me feel real good....i ate some as well and they were by far the best butts i have ever done.......THANKS a bunch for the help on this cook.....I appreciate it a bunch.

here a few pics of the final product.
  • Foghorn
    Strong work.  Congratulations.  Way to represent Egg Nation.

San Antonio, TX

• msloan
    Foghorn said:
    Strong work.  Congratulations.  Way to represent Egg Nation.
    thanks!
  • Cookinbob
    I am not surprised at your result - you did it right, and the egg is one of the best things you can do to a pork butt!
    Rochester, NY