Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger, first couple cooks (Hot Smoked Salmon, Spatchcock & Reverse sear Ribeye - PIC INTENSIVE)

Options
Helmet
Helmet Posts: 163
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
Hey there, I'm new to the forum and to egging, I've been lurking here since I got my egg. First off let me say THANK YOU to all of you guys here on the board, without your recipes and posts I wouldn't have ever been able to do these cooks!

Well, one of my first real cooks that I was dying to try was a hot smoked salmon. I ended up getting a gorgeous wild caught Coho fillet for this project, before I realized that a lot of people say to use farm raised due to the higher content. I decided to give it a shot anyway and I'm glad I did

I ended up going with a soy/wine brine very similar to the first one on this page http://www.fishsniffer.com/recipes/salmon5.html
I was really afraid that it was going to be too salty, but ended up being the best smoked salmon I've ever had. SWMBO, who isn't even a Salmon fan ask to take some home with her. Always a good sign!
Here is the salmon after brining for 24 hours
Here it is after a cracked black pepper and maple syrup glaze:
Then onto the egg it went. I went with a placesetter legs up and put two trays of ice in the drip pan. I was able to keep the temps between 180-210 throughout the cook.
Just before coming off the egg:
And here's how it ended up:
imageimageimage

I was very very happy with the results, to say the least. I brought a nice cut to a party later that night and it got rave reviews.

Next up I decided that these Spatchcock chickens you were all making looked too delicious, I had to try my hand at making one. I didn't brine, I just cleaned, spatch'd, dried for 24 hours uncovered in the fridge. Then EVOO and then did 1/2 the chicken with DP Swamp Venom and the other 1/2 with DP Raising the Steaks (Used Cherry and Apple for smoke). After about an hour, raised direct at 375-400 this is what I was rewarded with:
I took a thigh and some other parts down to the parents house and my 67 year old dad txt me about 20 minutes later and said "That is absolutely the best chicken I've ever had in my life". A very nice compliment, indeed. As I've heard others on here say....'once you cook a spatchcock, you'll never buy a roaster chicken again' - I couldn't agree more. I have another in the fridge right now that I did a creole injection on that I'm going to throw on tomorrow, low and slow. Since it's packed full of buttery goodness I was almost wondering if I should do indirect with a drip pan this time? Thoughts? I'm worried about the grill flaring up.

Lastly, after 1 failed attempt and a second "it was ok" attempt I finally managed to get a reverse sear done right:
imageimage
I'm glad I took the time to learn though and finally have it down because it's just such an amazing way to do ribeyes.

Again, bit thanks to all of you out here posting pics and recipes, it really helps us n00b's out a lot when we are just starting out.

Happy Friday everyone!
Marty
Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
"I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Wow, impressive results for your first cooks.  Welcome to the jungle.  Where you from?

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Helmet
    Options
    Thank you! Like I said, I could never have done it without this forum!
    I'm down in sunny Englewood FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited October 2013
    Options
    great first cooks. I do have one question: How do you get SWMBO to leave after dinner?

SWMBO, who isn't even a Salmon fan ask to take some home with her.

This may be the best trick I have ever seen on this forum :))

Kidding ladies! (and since my wife is a lurker on here)- love you dear
    :x
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Helmet
    edited October 2013
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHA  Cen-Tex - man, I got a really good laugh out of that. =))
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Yum-O-
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Great cooks right out of the gate.  As you have figured out-it is a game-changer.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Awesome cooks - welcome to the club.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Options
    Why did the reverse sears not go well the first couple times?
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • Helmet
    Options
    Thanks!
    Nealclr - I think the easiest way to describe my issue with the first two reverse sear cooks would be the fact that I didn't have a thermapen yet :)
    Actually the first steaks I did I seared with the lid closed and I think that's what doomed me, 90 sec per side with the lid shut was just too much and overcooked them. The second cook I let them get to 120 before searing and they came out a good medium, but I'm really more of a rare guy, so the last cook I only let them get to 105 before I pulled. That seemed to be the sweet spot, at least for how I like mine.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Fantastic cooks! It only gets better.

great first cooks. I do have one question: How do you get SWMBO to leave after dinner?

SWMBO, who isn't even a Salmon fan ask to take some home with her.

This may be the best trick I have ever seen on this forum :))

Kidding ladies! (and since my wife is a lurker on here)- love you dear
    :x
    Nice save... sorta. :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    fish looks very impressive!
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • uniquetatman
    Options
    Just wondering how long you cooked the salmon and or what temp did you get the fish to.
  • Helmet
    Options
    Thanks guys, I was truly surprised at how well that Salmon came out! Looking forward to doing another one soon.

uniquetatman, I took the salmon up to 130-140. It didn't really take too long (maybe 45 minutes at the most). Since I didn't have my thermapen yet I really relied more on waiting until the white stuff started coming out than I did getting it to a certain temp (just because I honestly didn't have a really trustworthy way to check the temp).