Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Plans from Big Green Egg

Options
mybubbles65
mybubbles65 Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone used the plans from BGE to build a table?  I have the plans and really like the layout of the table but they do not provide enough information.  How much lumber do I need?  How many screws and what size?  I want to build the smaller table for the medium egg.  Has anyone built one and can tell me what supplies I need?

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I built my table using the BGE plans. The only modification that I made was that I used 4x4 legs instead of the 2x4's like the plans specified. It has been a few months since I did mine, but here is a good approximation of what you'll need.

6 - 2x4x8
    2 - 4x4x8 (If you choose to do the 4x4 legs like I did)
    6 - 5/4x6x8 (12 if you choose to make the top with lumber as well). I had a concrete top made for mine.
    1 - 5 lb box of 2 1/2" stainless steel screws.

My table is the large table for the XL, so you may have to scale back the materials. You can always return what you don't need. I also made my cross supports under the top and decking at 16" O.C. It was a bit overkill, but the egg is pretty hefty.

I built my table out of PT framing and Trex PVC decking for the lower shelf. The top is, as I said before, a 2" thick concrete counter top. In addition, I used a hidden fastener system for the deck boards called Camo. It toenails the deck boards through the outside edges of the boards so you can't see the fasteners. It wasn't necessary, but I am a deck builder, so I had the tools and the extra screws already.

The material you use is up to you. There are tons of options, depending on your budget. Cedar, Ipe, White Oak, and Redwood are all great options as well. I hope this helps.

Here is a link to a view of my table.

http://static-cl1.vanilladev.com/biggreenegg.vanillaforums.com/uploads/FileUpload/a9/7bdbcd3cb4346c6b7c9b11614599a0.jpg
    Mark Annville, PA
  • popsbbq
    popsbbq Posts: 6
    Options
    That's a great looking table. You don't think you'll need casters on it? It must weigh a ton with the egg in it.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    With the egg in, I'd estimate that the table is 600 lbs. I didn't put casters on because I didn't see myself moving it. I can add them later if necessary. A floor jack is a great thing.

Thanks for the compliment on the table. If you want to see a cool table, check out cazzy's table.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Wow, that is a great looking table and does not look very intimidating for a novice like my self. 

Is there an estimated cost with this project?  I like the concrete top too?  You said you "had it made".  Is this something that a DIY'er can do too? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    I wingded it! (Is that a word?) :D
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    For longevity... I'd through bolt what you can.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN