Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grif: How to cook raw link sausage

You be the master.  I've always cooked links that are already cooked, but will be cooking raw links today.
Direct/indirect?  Temperature? Ballpark timing?  I'll also be cooking some ribs at the same time.

Thanks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    What kind of sausages? I've found that the key to cooking sausages is a moderate heat and raised if you can. I generally cook them at 350-400 direct with a raised grate (AR) until they reach 160F. Should be around 15-20 minutes. If you want to check temperatures with a probe, go in from the end, don't just stick it right through the casing in the middle. Hope that helps.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Thanks, my friend.  I bought them at Whole Paycheck (Whole Foods).  One said "Louisiana Hot Link" and the other said "Cheddar Jalapeño Pork".

I guess I'll cook them separately on the Mini. 

Thanks again.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin
    You've got the Mini Woo, right? I'd probably shoot for 350 on the Mini, not that mine will ever stay that low. It always creeps up to 400 no matter what I do even using the DFMT closed almost all the way.

Rowlett, Texas

• When I do them, I usually go with indirect at about 350.  They typically take about 20-30 minutes to get to 160.  I haven't burst the casing on any yet this way.
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    I poach them first. Bring water to a rolling boil (or beer/wine/any liquid). Turn off the heat. Put the sausages in the liquid for 10 minutes then grill. If you cook different flavors, a good trick is to insert toothpicks in the sausages to distinguish them while they poach and on the grill.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    sometimes i start with foil and just a little water to bloat them up and cook them more evenly then on a hot grill naked. seems to work really good with the hotter sausages and dont worry about losing flavor, the skin holds it in.  if you cook them direct naked, taste them towards the end, sometimes they get a bitter taste, you can wash that off with a watered down bbq sause, that taste seems to stick to the grease on the outside of the skin. i like the foil approach because theres less pruning of the casing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Boil one in Sam Adams... A lager sous vide.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I would only suggest not smoking them at a low temp.  I have tried this twice.  Once with Brats, once with italian sausage.  The casing got so tough I had to peel them.  I will always go direct in the future
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • I slice mine into little quarters or half-dollars and pan-fry in shallow water and a dab of butter for a couple of minutes. The water evaporates and they are ready for the final 30 seconds each side.  Don't 'crisp' fry. 

Very easy, fast and tasty.

Spring "Chip Off The Whole Hog" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• Wow.  Lots of ways here.  I'm thinking of a combo.  Foil the sausage with a small amount of Shiner Boch (sorry Sam Adams), put it at a low temp with the ribs for about 15 or 20 minutes, then unwrap and put it on a hot fire on the mini, raised direct with pecan chips for smoke.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin
    How'd it turn out, VI? What method did you go with?

Rowlett, Texas

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2013
    Grif,
    Thanks for asking.  It went real well.  Like I said, I did a combo.  I put Shiner Bock in aluminum foil and steamed them on the large egg with the ribs for 20 minutes.  Then, I did it your way with a hot fire, raised direct, on the mini.

The ribs turned out good too.  I marinated them with an Asian marinate/glaze I got out of my new book.  I thought it was outstanding.

1 tablespoon sesame oil

4 tablespoons dark soy sauce

4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

2 teaspoons fresh ginger puree

1 teaspoon chili powder (Korean chili powder is best)

2 teaspoons sugar

Ground black pepper to taste

Marinated the ribs for 4 hours. Then, I cooked at 250 indirect for 3 hours, then foiled in Shiner for 1 hour.  Then, glazed unwrapped for one hour.

Cooked the ribs on the Mini (the big one is precooked.)

Served with Kristi's (necessaryindulgences) 4 cheese macaroni and cheese.  Yum!

And, my nieces and their friend loved the meal.

Thanks for your help !!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

If you aren't man enough to do Indian chili powder. White is even hotter.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2013
    Little Steven said:
    Village Idiot said:   1 teaspoon chili powder (Korean chili powder is best)    

The
    authentic recipe calls for Korean chili powder.  However, coming from a troglodyte who puts couscous and tiny navy beans in his "chili", your post is understandable.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    The food looks great but I really love your choice of fingernail polish.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Griffin

Glad it worked out. The ribs sound amazing.

Dammit @JRWhitee , you beat me to it.

Rowlett, Texas

• thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited October 2013
    I did these at 250 degrees for 2 hours....staying in the Egg a little longer would not hurt them at all.....the main thing is, don't over cook and have them pop and lose their juices.....these are fresh Louisiana Hot Links....here is a Yelp page of the place I get my links....check out the pictures...if you live in the Oakland area, this is a must place to go. Ask for Raymond the owner or Harold, his right hand man...they special order whole shoulders and fresh ham hocks for me....they make all of their links and sausage...http://www.yelp.com/biz/taylors-sausage-oakland
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    JRWhitee said:

Well you know he lives in the Austin area now! :D

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    RAC said:
    JRWhitee said:

Well you know he lives in the Austin area now! :D
    Accessories for the Vespa are endless! I'm just waiting for his Hermès scarves to make an appearance.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2013
    I have heard about Hippy Hollow at Lake Travis... :-c

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Actually, I'm embarrassed about the fingernail polish.  It clashed with my pink tanktop.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited October 2013

The authentic recipe calls for Korean chili powder.  However, coming from a troglodyte who puts couscous and tiny navy beans in his "chili", your post is understandable.

I'll take that comment with all the respect due a guy who doesn't know how to cook a sausage
    ;;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'll take that comment with all the respect due a guy who doesn't know how to cook a sausage

Certainly I know how to cook a sausage.  But, I'm always interested in learning the nuances of the cook from the experts.  Notice the title: "Grif: How ...".I would do the same for you.

In the future look for a post titled:  "Little Steven:  How do you make a snow cone?"

Dripping Springs, Texas.