Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning a Pizza Stone

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
I just got a BGE Large stone.  Last night I was cooking sausages on the egg and was going to make buns in the ovens when I thought hey, why not try baking them on the stone.  So I did.  They stuck, pretty badly.
This got me thinking, is there something that I should do in order to "season" the stone or is there some other method that people use to keep bread dough/pizza crust from sticking to the stone?  I just washed the stone off for its first use and put it on the plate setter, legs up.  500 for about 20 mins and then backed it down to 400 to bake.
Thanks

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• Serial Griller
    Options

For eggs and sausages I'd use a cast iron griddle or pan.Or cook sausages directly  on your grate or with a drip pan under to catch the grease.

When baking bread or pizza use cornmeal on a pizza peel to load your bread.Or...

I use parchment paper under my bread and pizza.

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options

For eggs and sausages I'd use a cast iron griddle or pan.Or cook sausages directly  on your grate or with a drip pan under to catch the grease.

When baking bread or pizza use cornmeal on a pizza peel to load your bread.Or...

I use parchment paper under my bread and pizza.

Sorry if I was confusing.  I did the sausages after the bread right on the grill.  Sausages on the stone would be a real mess.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    No need to season a stone.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Seasoning the stone might cause more harm than good. Try to keep oils away. Parchment paper and corn meal.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I accidentally seasoned my stone the first time I used it. (this was in the oven, before I got my Egg).
    I pre-heated it 500 degrees for a half-hour, built my pie, very carefully slid it into the oven, and snapped the pie onto the stone.
    The sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, and cheeses slid perfectly onto the stone.  The dough did not, it stuck securely to my metal peel.  
    There was nothing left to do but turn off the oven, close the door, open the windows, disconnect the smoke detector, and go to Dennie's for dinner.
    The next day I actually used a belt sander to clean the stone off.  
    Not recommended!  
    8-|

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If it's hot enough, dough shouldn't stick.  If it does, use cornmeal, flour or parchment paper.  Oil on a baking stone is no bueno. It will season in time without oil by using it.
    Botch said:
    I accidentally seasoned my stone the first time I used it. (this was in the oven, before I got my Egg).
    I pre-heated it 500 degrees for a half-hour, built my pie, very carefully slid it into the oven, and snapped the pie onto the stone.
    The sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, and cheeses slid perfectly onto the stone.  The dough did not, it stuck securely to my metal peel.  
    There was nothing left to do but turn off the oven, close the door, open the windows, disconnect the smoke detector, and go to Dennie's for dinner.
    The next day I actually used a belt sander to clean the stone off.  
    Not recommended!  
    8-|

• curty85
    Options
    Glad Im not the only one.  I ended up with a burnt tomato mess on my pizza stone last night.  First time I used it......I wasnt thinking belt sander but that is why I am on this forum today, to find out what to do.  Lesson Learned.  If you dont have cornmeal in the house, dont bake a pizza.
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options
    To clean the stone, scrape off what you can and flip it upside down to let the fire take care of the mess.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If it's hot enough, dough shouldn't stick.  If it does, use cornmeal, flour or parchment paper.  Oil on a baking stone is no bueno. It will season in time without oil by using it.
    Yes, and use parchment for the first 1/2 dozen cooks until the stone is seasoned. Using parchment will let the crust set up so that when you pull the paper the crust will season the stone "naturally". Soon as the stone gets some colour you can use flour, meal, nothing or keep using parchment, your choice. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I always use parchment paper on the stone. Nothing gets deformed because it stuck to the peel, nothing sticks to the stone or needs cleaned afterword.  I dust with corn meal for bread, go naked for pizza. You can pull the paper partway through, but I find the crust is always crispy either way.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY