Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large loaf on the XLBGE

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
All the bread posts got me itching to do bread on the egg again. I just started a batch of Saturday White Bread from Flour Water Salt Yeast and I'm going to try something a bit different. This time instead of dividing into two loaves, I'm going to try it as one big loaf, just because I can on the XL :) I have no idea how this will turn out, but will post pics along the way.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Sounds great!

Absolutely looking forward to the pics.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • DMW
    Final fold is done, if all goes as planned should be ready to shape and proof in about 3.5 hrs
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    DMW, I only do round loafs. Friends are floored when they find out I made them at the house and didn't buy them at the bakery. (FYI, try finishing with kicking the temp up and doing pizza while you've go the set up going.)
  • DMW
    @Searat I always do round loaves as well, usually divide this into 2 round loaves, presentation is great, I know what you mean. I have done pizza many times on the egg, but I don't have any extra dough ready now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Shaped and proofing now. I have the egg setup PS legs up, CI skillet, cooking grid, then pizza stone. Getting it stabilized at 475* now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Last minute audible called. The XL BGE Pizza Stone didn't leave much room to get the water in the CI skillet, even though I have a funnel ready, thought it might be tough. The Emile Henry stone I got from woot that someone posted about on here is a good bit smaller, but will still fit this loaf, so made the swap just now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Here's a pic of the setup. Boiling water will be poured in the CI for steam when the bread goes on.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    I'm sure it's not standard procedure, but instead of a skillet I spritz a little water in the chimney.  It flashes to steam almost instantly.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • DMW
    And it's finished. A few things I'll try to do different next time. 

I forgot to score the top and the seam side was down, so I didn't get a nice split on the top. The split was on the one side and bottom. I will score for sure next time.

The side of the bread that was beside where the steam was coming up around the loaf a nicer golden brown that the opposite side. With this stone I'd like to find a large round pan that could be centered under the stone so steam would be coming up around all sides evenly. 

Word of caution, be careful when you add the water to the pan, I almost got a steam burn. 

All in all, I'm happy with the results, hopefully when I slice it after it cools the crumb will be as good as I'm hoping. Just measured it, it's 6.5" H x 10" x 8".
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Nice boules!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Looks good!  Pls post a pic when you cut it!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • DMW
    edited October 2013
    Just sliced it open, I should have scored the top, had a big bubble form in the top.

@Little Steven It's just one boule, pics taken from different sides.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• queued
    queued Posts: 50
    @DMW, please adopt me so I can eat some of your bread.  That looks fantastic!
    Raleigh, NC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Man,  bread and good butter is probably my fav comfort food bar none. 

I went through a phase some time ago when I made my own butter at home and didn't biy any from the store for several months. Sadly, it didn't coincide with SWMBO's bread making phase. It may be time to revisit the idea and make the two coincide. I could probably eat that whole boule by myself!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    @caliking Homemade butter, hmm... Lately I've gotten into a kick of trying to make anything I can. Started making crackers and considering cheese and cured meats this winter. Will add butter to my list.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @DMW: pretty easy. Buy some heavy whipping cream in a carton (the liquid kind). Put it in the Kitchen-Aid and beat it on high until the solids separate. Rinse under cold water then beat the water out of the butter with a flat spatula on a cutting board. Use a paper towel or other absorbent cloth to dry the butter off and there you have it - homemade butter!

I tried different versions by adding different kinds of salt - jalapeno salt, bhut jolokia salt, smoked, black Hawaiian, pink Himalayan, sea salt, etc. It made even store bought bread taste great.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    @caliking Just made my first butter. Small batch to start. Will be doing again, super easy like you said!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Searat
    Searat Posts: 80

DMW, Thanks for the photos. Looks great. I hadn't tried the water trick. I leg down wth the stone on top. I'll add it to the tricks list.

Note on the dough not ready comment earlier. I usually do bread at the end of a 2-3 hour bake (still have lump to go and the egg is already warm). I'll prep the dough after starting the cook. The 2-3 hours gives the dough rest and rise time.

jEgg on

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486

Hey that giant boule looks good.  Congrats.  About scoring, I find it difficult at best and sometimes make a mess of the top but scoring does control oven spring and associated expansion cracks.  I've tried different razors and found Xacto detail blades to work the best so far.

Let's see if I can post a picture.

Boule proofed and scored ready for the Baker Egg.