Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One cook, Two mistakes; still good!

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,427
I picked up a 2-lb pork shoulder roast at the super to make some Green Chile Stew today, and started smoking it.  I didn't bother with my probe thermometer, just checked it after an hour with my Thermapen, 157 F.  Keep going.  Well, there was a peel-off sticker on the pork packaging, and I started absent-mindedly reading the recipe for Pork Torta sammiches.  The first step was to cook the pork to 145.
145??
Oh yeah, this isn't a pork butt!  And it was 157 about 15 minutes ago!  
I started to pull it off the CI grate (I cooked it indirect) and then noticed that absorptive plastic "napkin" that is often placed in the styrofoam meat tray under the meat, was still there!  I remember taking it off, then realized there were two in this particular package, gah!  It had burned a bit where it touched the grate, but came off the meat readily.  I suppose its a plastic that become carcinogenic when burned, if I quit posting in a month you'll know why.
Anyhow, the meat was a bit dry, but still tasty.  I chopped it pretty finely and added it to the stew, and it was fine.  Gonna have to check the meat more closely (and the instructions) in the future...    

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Live long and prosper!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • You'll have more than a month; at least 6 months would be my guess!  ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Botch said:
    .. noticed that absorptive plastic "napkin" that is often placed in the styrofoam meat tray under the meat, was still there! ...
    You'll have more than a month; at least 6 months would be my guess!  ;)
    shat, I did that about six months ago, seriously. 
    canuckland
  • You'll have more than a month; at least 6 months would be my guess!  ;)
    shat, I did that about six months ago, seriously. 
    Okay... 9 months!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Sober?... If so, the wife can't complain about your drinking. :))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch
    henapple said:
    Sober?...
    Sober!  I walked out to the Egg with the pork still in the tray, the cellophane removed.  I picked it up with my tongs, saw the corner of the "napkin", and peeled it off; never turned the meat over to check the underside.
    I will from now on... 
    ;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2013
    Hey Botch- pork shoulder roast is actually the same cut as a butt. They usually call it a roast after they cut a butt down to the 2-3 lb cuts like you used. Don't ever bother with the temp stickers from th grocery store. They are worthless. The reason the meat was tough is becuase it was underdone. usually on a dish like that you would put smoke on it until 165-ish and then finish by braising in the stew liquid until it all falls apart. you were really close (oh yeah, leave the plastic out next time ) :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    Thanks; I think it finished cooking in the stewpot anyway, after I reheated it once it was fall-apart tender.  

• Botch said:
    Thanks; I think it finished cooking in the stewpot anyway, after I reheated it once it was fall-apart tender.  

yep-thats the way to do it. i do that with butts and chuckies. you get the smoke and you get the texture that way.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX