Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best bet for buying brisket in Ontario

gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
I've noticed a few folks on here are also from Ontario. Where do you get your brisket? I've bought it at my local Independant (Zehrs) but they never have it and so I have to order in advance and take the one they get in. Pork butt isn't usually an issue but brisket seems to be. Thanks.
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Here in Cambridge ON I can get them at Dipietros.   Maybe Longos or another store like that has some.

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I order them from my butcher. Where you at?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gmac
    Between Woodstock and London. Cambridge isn't that far but there isn't really much right around here for butchers.
  • They carry them at highland farms they have a point and a flat
  • Little Steven
    Lotsa cattle farms out that way. I noticed when working in St. Thomas a while back that there was a market there that had them. I think there is somebody in Ingersoll too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Here in thunder bay I go to local butcher for most of my meat!

3:-O
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Do you have a metro near by? I heard they will bring meat in for u.

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Zehrs is a division of Loblaws so not really an independent.  All the BBQ joints I know get their brisket from Norpac which is right in your neck of the woods so there must be a local butcher that deals with them that could get it for you.  That said I get mine from a butcher shop in Hensall called Metzger Meats and have never been disappointed by one of their briskets.

Gerhard
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

There are two places you could try north/northwest of you.  The first in Hensall is called Metzger's meats.  He does all kinds of meats, great in house made deli, real traditional stuff and if you don't make your own bacon his is as close as it gets.  He has a super busy outfit, well regarded in the area and worth the drive up there if you've never been. 

The second is called Zehr's Country Market in Bayfield.  My cousin owns a restaurant and gets all her meats from them.  Apparently a really good place and it has no affiliation with Loblaws. 

Surely there is some European butcher or something in London that you can call and order one. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• gmac
    gerhardk said:
    Zehrs is a division of Loblaws so not really an independent.  All the BBQ joints I know get their brisket from Norpac which is right in your neck of the woods so there must be a local butcher that deals with them that could get it for you.  That said I get mine from a butcher shop in Hensall called Metzger Meats and have never been disappointed by one of their briskets.

Gerhard
    Yeah the term "Independant" is just another Loblaws brand so that can be confusing. The guy in Ingersoll mentioned above is actually a friend of mine who sold his butcher shop and now is semi retired and works at the aforementioned Independant. Norpac is in Norwich 10 mins away but they don't seem to do much direct to consumer sales. I will have to call them again. Thanks everyone for the comments.
  • gmac
    I should mention we buy all our meat from friends who either have beef, pork or chickens. But we only get a 1/4 beef at a time so the brisket gets put into other cuts. We get whole pigs so we can ask for butts of whatever size we want. It's brisket that is the challenge. I guess I should just order a bunch ahead and freeze them but I wish I could get them more easily (or short notice ).
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    They have them at Whitveen's near Brantford. You need to ask, they are in the cooler. My brother and I have bought a few. They are point and flat in a cryo pack. DePietros often has pork shoulder (bone in and skin on) for less than $1 a pound! Anyone know of a local source for short ribs?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Little Steven
    You may also want to check with Costco in London. I've been told that they carry them in Newmarket but didn't have them last time I was there. It's way better if you can select them yourself.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I had to ask at Newmarket Costco but they did have packers in the back
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I misunderstood. I thought they were out in the bins. I'm off today maybe I'll run out there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• That's part of the fun of going to Costco... you can never be 100% sure about what you're going to find!

I've also bought pork shoulder there - 4, 5-6lbers to a package... you have to ask for that too.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Watching this thread.  Tried brisket once and messed it up, can't even remember what I did :((
    canuckland
  • Watching this thread.  Tried brisket once and messed it up, can't even remember what I did :((
    You need to get right back up in the saddle!
    Lemme think for a second...meat shopping or fertilizing grass? I'm going to Costco.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• So was this a 3-day work week for you Steven?
    Yes, after 33 years in business, my partner and I are alternating long weekends.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    how about 0-day work week, eh?
    canuckland
  • gerhardk
    I go to the north London CostCo about once a month and they have never had brisket, I have asked for pork shoulder and was told we don't carry it.  The CostCo near the 401 may have a different selection of meat but it is not very convenient for me.  

I also go to the downtown market on occasion and Chris' Country Cuts often has things you don't find everywhere like ducks and geese and they could probably get brisket as well.  Field Gate Organics also has a good selection of meats and have bought excellent steaks from them but they are a little pricy as they have the organic angle.  There use to be a butcher in North West London across from Angelo's that had good meat and reasonable prices but they have been closed for 3 years, he said that he was thinking of opening after a couple of years rest but that never happened.  

Around London there are country butchers that still kill their own meat so you should be able to get anything you want from them, I know I occasionally go to one on HYW 22 (Fanshawe Park Road) near Strathroy that has a retail store and you can order cuts from.  I don't go east of London as much so not familiar with butchers there.

Gerhard

Gerhard
  • Canugghead
    @gerhardk, thanks for saving me a trip; I was thinking of visiting north London Costco next time I visit my kid at UWO.  btw, do you know a good place for reasonably priced piglet? they cost two arms and two legs in Toronto  :D
    canuckland
  • gerhardk
    Sorry we have never bought a piglet so don't know>

Gerhard
  • gmac
    After all this I stopped in at my local grocer and they had a packer in stock. Two in a bag each about 13 lbs. After the heart attack at the price I went with only 1. $125 for the pack of 2. About $5 a lb untrimmed. I asked if it ever went on sale and the answer was no because nobody knows how to cook it so they never get much in. Not sure why they had it this time but not the last couple times I checked. Gonna be doing brisket Sunday!! Yay!
  • gerhardk
    Glad you found it and good luck with the cook.  I usually aim for 195º but have had to keep it on to 205º before it felt right.

Gerhard
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    @Canugghead - a friend at work gets piglet & lamb from Highland Meat Market in Stoney Creek.  Said they take orders on Tuesdays and prices are really reasonable.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Canugghead
    @BigWader, thanks, I phoned Highland Packers in Stoney Creek a while back, their selection and prices is very good indeed. I believe they supply the whole porchetta to Niagara eggfest every year too.  Unfortunately Stoney Creek is kind of out of my way.
    canuckland
  • gmac
    Watching this thread.  Tried brisket once and messed it up, can't even remember what I did :((
    You need to get right back up in the saddle!
    Agreed.  It's only meat.  How bad can it be?  This one will only be my 2nd (I'll try to post some pics).  Two chickens on the Egg right now with Pepsi cans full of homebrew in an uncomfortable place.  It's my birthday today so the brisket is my present to myself.  I wonder if you can put candles in a brisket.