Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wintertime setups out there.

Living in New Jersey has its drawbacks as far as wintertime outdoor cooks are concerned, as well many many other places obviously. Being a working fool like I'm sure a lot of people on here, it's dark when arriving home during the week, not to even mention the colder weather about to set in here soon. Looking for ideas about lights and setups you guys use to get through the winter months. Cooking outdoors on weekends only is not acceptable for me and want and an willing to do something about it. Suggestions?
Cherry Hill, NJ

Comments

• Best thing I use which I wouldn't show a pic is a hikers headlamp that I use so my hands are free while I cook. In the winter I have to shovel a path to the BGE. Other than that, for me it's business as usual here in Chicago.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

I'm in Texas so don't have to deal with the cold and winter weather as much as you guys up north, but it does get brutally cold here at points during the winter.  I have one of those big propane patio heaters which sits next to my Egg table.  This thing puts out a ton of heat and makes being out there more bearable when we have a major cold snap. 

I also will move it into the garage (kind of my man cave) and have people over to watch football when it's really cold.  Even with the door up and freezing temps, it keeps the whole area nice and warm.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I'm in Canada and don't have any special lighting. Until I decide on some cover for my egg area, I'm just going to buy a couple of cheap standing lamps and cover the top with foil and duct tape.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I am in Nebraska. Egg is on the Deck right outside my back door. I have 2 led flood lights aimed at my egg. It is like daylight when I flip them on. Heavy coat helps in the zero degree weather.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I'm with you.  It gets dark here around 5:30 in the winter.  I bought one of these Coleman canopy's this June.  It has 4 LED lights in it that are set to a dimmer.  The lights work great.  I also bought a Coleman LED light that clips on to the table and has a flexible neck to move around as needed.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    YEMTrey said:
    I'm with you.  It gets dark here around 5:30 in the winter.  I bought one of these Coleman canopy's this June.  It has 4 LED lights in it that are set to a dimmer.  The lights work great.  I also bought a Coleman LED light that clips on to the table and has a flexible neck to move around as needed.

Pretty cool man! What is the snow load rating on that puppy:))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    LS, I've actually been thinking about that lately, lol. 

We don't get much significant snow here, but I wouldn't want to risk it if snow was in the forecast.  The canopy is real easy to put up and take down.
    Last winter, I shoveled the patio on occasion and Egg'd all winter along.

Nothing like the snow you see in your neck of the woods!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited October 2013
    13 years ago I adapted a hard hat with this Night Blaster as I believe it was called. In spite of it having 4 batteries and otherwise heavy when mounted on a hard hat with webbing inside it is quite comfortable. Hiking lamps are fine and light weight and all but when you want to light up the night with very little strain I really recommend my solution!  Since then I have replaced that unit with an 8 bulb LED lamp that is even brighter and lighter in weight. Just the same...you know what?...I ALWAYS have VERY bright light where I am looking!
    BTW even if you don't own an old hard hat the cheaper ones are surprisely inexpensive at a good safety supply store. These hats just need to rest comfortably on your head and NOT break the fall of a chunk of junk falling from 30 stories up!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

It works fine for small amounts of snow.

• My garage is used for warehousing junk.  I have carved out an area for my eggs and stuff.  When it rains or snows, I egg in the garage next to the open garage door.  Usually, I roll the eggs out in the driveway just outside the garage. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I just use a Petzl headlamp I got for ski patrol. Easy pezy.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited October 2013
    One of the very few benefits of keeping the egg in the garage.   I roll the egg out just far enough where the garage door is still functional and keep the egg close enough to use the overhang of the roof to keep the snow/sleet of me.  The garage blocks any cold winter wind.  The best part is slipping on sandals in the middle of January and walking out to the egg with a beer in my hand.  Neighbors grills have been put away for months and look at me like I'm crazy for grilling in -30 degrees.  That's when egged food tastes the best!!!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • KennyLee said:

I'm in Texas so don't have to deal with the cold and winter weather as much as you guys up north, but it does get brutally cold here at points during the winter.  I have one of those big propane patio heaters which sits next to my Egg table.  This thing puts out a ton of heat and makes being out there more bearable when we have a major cold snap. 

I also will move it into the garage (kind of my man cave) and have people over to watch football when it's really cold.  Even with the door up and freezing temps, it keeps the whole area nice and warm.

@KennyLee, I hate to contradict you but, I grew up in Texas. Unless you happen to be up in the panhandle somewhere, there is really no "brutally cold" weather down there. Let me know when you get -40* temps (that happens to be the point were *F and *C are exactly the same) and then we can start talking about brutally cold.  :D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • I love the idea of a hiker's headlamp, never gave that one a thought. Will definitely pick up one of those, appreciate the tip! I can also set the Egg up right outside our back sliding door so when it does snow there won't be too much shoveling involved. You guys are great, thanks.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Don't worry about getting a really nice headlamp as you may not have the requirements that others might. I need mine to work guaranteed when I am treating an injured skier off-piste who just hit a tree and there is inadequate ambient light.

I only mentioned this because I posted a brand that can get quite expensive and I didn't want you to bug out at the price of a flashlight attached to your head.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    For the headlights Costco has a 3 pack that work well and are good quality for $20.
  • My egg will reside in the garage this winter too.  I just wheel slightly outside or to the edge depending on the weather.
    Albion, PA
  • Here in Louisiana a problem with all night cooking, we don't have a problem with the cold and snow we still have mosquito problems. Down here and each year I swear they are getting bigger each year and I heard one say to the other do you want to eat him here or drag him out to the road where we have more room???

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    @KennyLee, I hate to contradict you but, I grew up in Texas. Unless you happen to be up in the panhandle somewhere, there is really no "brutally cold" weather down there. Let me know when you get -40* temps (that happens to be the point were *F and *C are exactly the same) and then we can start talking about brutally cold.  :D

@TexanOfTheNorth Point well taken! That said, I have been outside Egging with temps in the teens and 20s with that dreaded high north wind we get during the winter.  Feels damn cold to me anyway and the propane heater does help. 

And funny you bring up the panhandle.....I've been up north and actually lived in CO for a time when I was younger, but without question the coldest I've ever been was on a pheasant hunting trip near Booker in the Texas panhandle in December.  That was brutal by anyone's standards.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• KennyLee said:

@TexanOfTheNorth Point well taken! That said, I have been outside Egging with temps in the teens and 20s with that dreaded high north wind we get during the winter.  Feels damn cold to me anyway and the propane heater does help. 

And funny you bring up the panhandle.....I've been up north and actually lived in CO for a time when I was younger, but without question the coldest I've ever been was on a pheasant hunting trip near Booker in the Texas panhandle in December.  That was brutal by anyone's standards.

Yeah, nothing between the acrtic and the Texas panhandle to slow that cold wind down!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • Don't worry about getting a really nice headlamp as you may not have the requirements that others might. I need mine to work guaranteed when I am treating an injured skier off-piste who just hit a tree and there is inadequate ambient light. I only mentioned this because I posted a brand that can get quite expensive and I didn't want you to bug out at the price of a flashlight attached to your head.
    I agree with this.  I have a $5 cheapo one I bought years ago that works fine.  This will be my first winter with my egg so I can't really comment on the cold, but it's not something i'm too worried about living in Middle TN.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    SmokinOut Back - Where in NJ?

I have not found a good solution.  We do not use the Egg much during the week in the winter as its cold and dark.  I hate the cold with a passion.  We used a bunch over last winter on weekends but not sure about this year with all the kids events.  Lots of takeout on order this year.

Garnerville, NY
  • Robnybbq, Cherry Hill, which is a Philly suburb. I despise cold weather too, but there are lots of evenings during winters here that cooking outside wouldn't be a problem. In fact, the last 2 Winters have been pretty mild here so hopefully we'll get lucky again. Anyway, planning on a setup where I can cook outside as much as possible in the next several months, especially during the week.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    edited October 2013
     I use this light on my Large Egg.

Weber® Q Handle Lighthttp://www.target.com/p/weber-q-handle-light/-/A-10791918?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|10791918&CPNG=Patio+Garden&kpid=10791918&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10791918&gclid=CJ6mwLGqnroCFRRk7AodsGcAZQ
    Duncan, SC
  • I live on Long Island N.Y. and we get a lot of winter weather here as far a light I use a lamp that is on wheels that I aim on the Egg after shoveling a path to the Egg as far as the cold I bundle up I put on my Carhartt  coat and when my hands get cold I put my hands on the dome of the Egg and I'm good I also have a pop up canopy that I use if it's raining dont use if it's snowing the weight of the snow might collapse the canopy 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Fenix makes great LED torches and headlamps.  I have a few of their lights.  They're very reasonably priced for the quality and they're very high quality.

http://www.fenix-store.com/headlamps/
    Almost finished with the doors to the back... Will be able to stay warm this winter instead of having to roll the door up.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I just replaced my old headlamp with a petzl tikka 2 for less than $25. Plenty bright with multiple lighting modes. I used my old one for plenty of night hiking and nearly anything else. My wife thinks I look like an idiot wearing it, but I'm going for practicality.
    Dunedin, FL