Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Rib Results

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I had a bit of trouble controlling the temp on the mini tonight. It kept shooting up to about 300* on my direct rib cook. I guess you have to close the top to keep the temp below 300* on the mini. Also, I may have had too much lump, I filled it about halfway up the fire ring. Less than half was used on the 3 hour cook.[p]Anyway, the result was ribs that were a bit charred. They were still good though, like I always say, a mistake on the egg is still better than most anything in the house.[p]Fritz

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Fritz,
    Did you flip them?

• Fritz
    Options
    JJ,[p]Yeah, I flipped them, abotu every 45-60 minutes.[p]Fritz
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Fritz,
    Next time keep the lid on and the bottom vent open that should stabilize the internal EGG temp at about 250*

• Fritz
    Options
    JJ,[p]Okay, thanks. Getting the feel of controlling the temp ont he mini is gonna be interesting. Ofcourse, it is a lot of fun experimenting. :-)[p]Fritz
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Fritz,
    Whenever I cook ribs direct at 300F (albeit on the large, not a mini), I find that they are ready in about an hour and a half to an hour and 45 minutes. I would imagine that on the mini, you would have to cook at a lower temp due to the proximity of the coals to the ribs.
    JimW

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Fritz,
    Try rolling the ribs up and securing them with bamboo skewers. This actually makes for type of indirect cooking without any ceramic masses. Also, you will not need to flip them because very little meat is exposed to the fire directly. I was able to keep my Mini at 250 for four hours by using the daisy wheel from my small BGE. I had the firebox totally filed and was halfway into the fire ring. I do not think that the amount of lump had anything to do with the issue at hand. [p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Fritz,[p]Thanks for the post. Regulating temps with the cap requires some learning. I cooked a 3 lb canned ham yesterday at 275F and wings are planned tonight. The mini sure is fun.[p]Spin

• Fritz
    Options
    Spin,[p]Yeah, I was using the daisy wheel from my small BGE (I forgot to mention that.) It was leaking all over the place.[p]I gotta ask, tell me about smoking that canned hame, what did you do? What kinda ham was it, etc.?[p]Fritz
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    minihat.jpg
    <p />Fritz,
    This is the slide top i made for the mini,works great.
    YB

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hey Yard Boy,
    You continuously amaze me with your handi-work.
    Is there anything you CAN'T build???
    I wish you were my neighbor.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Between the two of us we could really smoke up a neighborhood,making things helps me stay out of trouble.
    Larry