Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pumpkin seeds on the egg?

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
Any one done pumpkin seeds on the egg? Are they any good? Gonna try them wanted to see if someone had any good advice.

Comments

• Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    We're doing a pumpkin carving party here on the 26th and I'm going to try the same thing. I plan on simply just sprinkling the seeds with a little salt or seasoning salt then roasting with a little smoke. I've roasted and smoked almonds this way and I thought they were great. 
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

This is a great method:

Pumpkin, Seeds, Roasted, Wise One

I did a bit more searching and revised the recipe as follows:Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Don't throw out the seeds when making Jack-O-Lanterns or cooking fresh pumpkins, they make great snacks that are rich in fiber as well as vitamins B and E. Kids especially love them. Purists will want only salt as a seasoning, but if you're feeling adventurous, experiment and have fun with seasoning blends.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds
    2 tsp melted butter or oil (olive oil or vegetable oil work well)
    salt to taste
    Options To Taste:
    garlic powder
    cayenne pepper
    seasoning salt
    Cajun seasoning blend

**********PREPARATION*********

1. Rinse pumpkin seeds. Use your fingers to remove all the pulp. Drain pumpkin seeds and discard pulp. Spread out on paper towels to dry overnight.

2. While it's O.K. to leave some strings and pulp on your seeds (it adds flavor), clean off any major chunks.

3. Preheat BGE to 300° F and set up for an indirect cook.

**********COOKING**********

1. Toss pumpkin seeds in a bowl with the melted butter or oil and seasonings of your choice.

2. Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer in an aluminum pan lined with non-stick foil (unless you don't mind the cleanup).

3. Bake for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.

4. Cool pumpkin seeds before eating. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 months or refrigerate up to 1 year.

**********NOTES**********

1. If you like your toasted pumpkin seeds extra-salty, soak overnight in a solution of 1/4 cup salt to 2 cups of water. Dry an additional day, then proceed as above.

2. Pumpkin seeds are also known as pepitas.

Recipe Type: Side Dish, Vegetarian

Source
    Author: Wise One
    Source: BGE Forum, Wise One, 2005/10/29

Author Notes
    Recipe Source: based on recipes from Cheri Sicard and Peggy Trowbridge

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options