Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mmm....Turkey

We egged our Thanksgiving turkey today (Canadian Thanksgiving) and it was fantastic. Juicy and moist, carved like a dream. Smoke, as my research stated was really only on the skin which my family appreciated since they're still easing into the love for the smoke. The skin really didn't get very crispy at all though - in fact it was downright chewy to the point I tried it because I wanted to taste the smoke but then didn't eat any more of it.

I cooked at 350 down to 325 over the course of the 4 1/2 hour cook, following Mad Max including icing the breasts. Basted only twice using the broth/water/drippings from the drip pan I had set under the bird. Bird was lightly trussed on the V rack, top crossbar on Adj rack. Indirect stone under the drip pan on lowest Ajd rack setting.

What do you do to crisp up the skin? I'd take pics but it'd be of the carcass ; )

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If you brine the bird, plan to pull and rinse 24 hours pre-cook. Let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours uncovered. Do the same thing even if you don't brine. This will help dry out the skin(pellicle) and help with crisping. You need very little smoke as well.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Spatch it, after the brine. lay it out in the fridge with some starch on the skin for at least 12 hours, then cook at 350-400º raised direct. Only experience has been with small birds, <11 pounds. In other words, treat it like a big chicken. Never used a drip pan with water. 
    I have cooked on a pan filled with root veggies, makes a great gravy, but never used a water pan in the egg other than Italian Beef. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    400 raised direct and spatchcocked.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I'm doing the mad max method on a 20lb. bird today. I've had the bird brining over-night and will inject it a couple of hours before putting in on the egg. I'm planning on something around 5 hours at 325*.

I'd go spatchcock but Mrs. TOTN wants a "traditional" looking bird for the table. If there's one thing I've learned over the years... keeping Mrs. TOTN happy pays BIG dividends!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.