Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI or Stone for pizza....

So I broke me pizza stone and still have not replaced it.....I think I am starting to have a bit of anxiety about the whole thing.....just trying to get a feel of what everyone is using out there? I think my debate is between a cast iron dish or traditional stone...any suggestions?

Comments

• BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    I normally use a BGE stone and am very satisfied with it , but am also curious about a steel plate.  I have cooked a deep dish in a cast iron skillet and it turned out good but my wife prefers normal pizza on the stone.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • It is my understanding that the porous nature of the stone allows it to absorb moisture from the crust.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I usually use a spring form pan for deep disk. Just got my Emily stone, thanks to RRP, and have not use it yet.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    I've always struggled with pizza.....until I started using a cast iron pizza pan! Now I have flawless pizza every time.... It distributes heat evenly for a perfect crust every time! The Lodge CI pizza pan fits perfectly on the large....plus it doubles as a skillet for peppers and onions perfectly!
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    The baking steel is great for pizza and burgers!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

I cracked two stones before ordering a cast iron pizza pan after a friend told me about the success he'd had on his Egg pizzas just using an iron skillet.  It has worked great for us and produced some great pizzas.  I'm planning on getting another so I can do two pizzas at once on my CGW swing rack.

Here's the link to what I got      http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Camp-Chef-14-Inch-Cast-Iron-Pizza-Pan/1017375490?Keyword=cast+iron+pizza

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• @KennyLee... is that pan only for deep dish? If not, how do you get a regular pie off?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited October 2013
    Lodge has a pizza pan..... Not deep dish. Plus, I use it for a bunch of different things.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    @TexasOfTheNorth we just do regular pizzas on it.  The edges are angled and are maybe an inch tops, maybe a little less.  When done, it just slides off onto whatever surface you're going to cut the pizza on.  I don't remember ever having to even use a spatula.  I've loved this thing since we got it.  We cooked some this week, but I didn't take any pics.  I'll take some next time and post them.

LBGE

• @KennyLee... so do you use a peel to slide the pizza onto the pan?

Did it come pre-seasoned or did you season it yourself?

I may just get one of those for myself.

Thanks for the info.

@TexanOfTheNorth Can't remember for sure, but pretty sure it did not come pre seasoned, but it doesn't take long. 

As far as a peel, I haven't used one.  What I do is put the pan in the Egg while I'm getting the Egg up to temp to get it heated up.  Then I bring the pan inside and pick up the dough (already rolled out and ready to go) and set it in the pan and just make sure it's nice and uniform just using my hands, then apply toppings and set back in the Egg.  Sounds involved, but it's really not.....whole process takes maybe two or three minutes.  I'm sure a peel would work fine also. 

My best results have been indirect at around 550* for 7-8 minutes. 

LBGE

• I have both for use on the XL. The BGE stone for the XL's advantage is that is is really big. Otherwise, I like the steel. It is indestructible. I have the big 1/2 inch thick baking steel and it is a beast. You can't cook on a stone but you can griddle on the steel - great for fish, onions, pancakes, etc.

If I had to pick one, I would go with the baking steel.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2013
    We use a 16" Pampered Chef stone we've had for close to 15yrs. Very seasoned and does quite well with all our baking in the Large BGE and our regular oven. I use it indirect, p.s. legs up on top of a c.i.grid. All my baking results this way have been very consistent. Comes down to personal preference in the end. Good luck.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL