Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer can turkey question

Options
Ok Ladies and Gents- I got the bird. I got the seasoning. I got the time and temp. But what i don't got is whether or not tho have the plate setter in place or not.

Any help from the field is greatly appreciated

You don't win friends with salad...

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    For doing the bird whole and not spatched I would have the PS in place. I usually do all my birds spatched raised direct at about 375-400*

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • 3sheets
    3sheets Posts: 81
    Options
    yes to the plate setter for beer can chicken. It needs to be indirect heat. I would use a drip pan too just because it makes it easier to clean.

Location 33.537588, -83.969298 (33.5 miles and 41 minutes SE of the Mothership)

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I usually spatch a turkey, but do it indirect with the setter in place. A raised drip pan with some root veggies works as well as a gravy base collector. Chickens are fine raised direct, but turkey tends to get a tad overdone unless the legs are wrapped in foil. Could be just me at the controls, assumed it was due to the larger mass of the bird. 
    The last two have been parted turkey on a bed of veggies done indirect. Not as visually exciting as a spatched bird, but certainly tastes better. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Not as visually exciting...

:-?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Not as visually exciting...

:-?

He's from the "Left" coast.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Beer can turkey?  Are you using a 40 oz can of Colt 45?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I usually spatch a turkey, but do it indirect with the setter in place. A raised drip pan with some root veggies works as well as a gravy base collector. Chickens are fine raised direct, but turkey tends to get a tad overdone unless the legs are wrapped in foil. Could be just me at the controls, assumed it was due to the larger mass of the bird. 
    The last two have been parted turkey on a bed of veggies done indirect. Not as visually exciting as a spatched bird, but certainly tastes better. 
    Do you have a pic of the split turkey on the bed of veggies?  I am starting to think about how I want to cook the Thanksgiveing bird, this will be my first on the egg
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Haven't done a beer can turkey in ages. Definitely use the plate setter and I would fashion a drip pan ouit of foil to collect those juices. Fosters works great for the can.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Beer can turkey?  Are you using a 40 oz can of Colt 45?

Fred, you missed an unbelievable chance at some solid street cred points. It's not a 40 oz can of Colt... It's simply a "fawty".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Flint, Michigan