Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st St. Louis Ribs Low and Slow

CP92
CP92 Posts: 317
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
Going to put them on after brunch this morning.  I have two racks and knowing both won't fit full size w/o a rack (which I don't have) on my Large.  Plan on cutting one in half and putting on the top and bottom side of the full rack.  Will these be done considerably early?  Plan on doing a 5-0-0 at 250 dome, maybe saucing toward the end.  BTW the came trimmed already so I don't have the excess to worry with.
Chris
LBGE
Hughesville, MD

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Somewhere on here is a thread showing how you can pin the end of the each together and cook a slab standing up (like a ring of ribs). Never tried it myself, I roll XL + AR, haha, but it seemed like a good idea to save space with out a rack.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The half portions will cook at the same rate as the full slab. This is assuming they are completely indirect, and not partially hanging over the coals or the hot air coming straight up from them.

Unless the ribs are thinner than usual, I plan on closer to 6 hours for spares at a dome of 250F, altho I peak at 4 hours to see how they are doing.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Try rolling them and holding together with a metal skewer. Just make sure there is a space between the the rolls! I can get 4 racks on the large that way. :D
  • CP92
    Rubbed up this morning around 8:00, before we headed off to brunch at this French country restaurant we had a Groupon for.  Outstanding meal.  Great way to start of the morning with a bloody mary, some snails, grilled sirloin with braised potatoes and a "brick egg", then a nice selection of chocolate deserts.  Back home and fired the egg up dialed in and waiting on the platesetter and egg to warm up.  Took a snap of the ribs with the rub I picked up off the Amazing Ribs site; Meathead's Memphis Dust Rub.  More pics as we go.

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • I get two racks on my LBGE without any problem. In fact, I'll be putting some on in about 1 1/2 hours.

If there's a little overhang (over the plate setter) I just put a piece of foil under that part of the ribs.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Appreciate that TOTN.  I'll do just that.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • You're welcome. I'm sure they'll turn out great!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Yea, I've done ribs on an offset before so I figured it would be a familiar cook to start with.  Looking at doing a butt if I can drag my butt outta bed early enough in the morning to get it going.  Not comfy with an overnight cook yet. That is unless I gain some confidence today with temps staying stable. Got a full load of lump up to the ring.  Think I could get a 7+ butt on after and still have enough lump to make it to the end?
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    If yiou stared with a reasonably full load of lump, you should be fine.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • You're saying 5 hrs for your ribs. The 7+ lb. butt will probably take 10-12 hrs low and slow. You may get by on lump but, if you're planning to put the butt on after the ribs you're looking at an overnighter; or finishing up in the wee hours of the morning.
    Right now the ribs got on at about 1:15EST.  That would mean, the butt would get on prolly around 7:00PM.  I usually get up at 5:00AM.  But I'm thinking it's a tomorrow thing.  Give me something to do on yet another forced day off from work.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @CP92-Didn't see any offer of "how do you know when the ribs are finished" so here you go:  Full rack-the bend test, pick up by one end and get 90* bend and you are there-less than full rack (and my favorite regardless) tooth-pick into the meatiest part of the rack and no resistance-finished!  WRT lump load-within reason you cannot load too much lump; air-flow runs the BGE so next time you plan the ribs followed by butt cook, fill it well into the fire ring and no worries about fuel for the cook. FWIW-YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CP92
    I appreciate it lousubcap. I did load it well into the fire ring on the off chance I decided to run straight into the butt.  Think I've decided to hold off until tomorrow though.  But I do have a question?  How are y'all getting the hyperlink in for folks profile names? 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CP92
    Here they are loaded onto the grill.  Obviously decided not to attempt to make them into circles as folks suggested. 

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited October 2013

St Louis ribs are my favorite and usually a deal if you don't mind trimming spares -@CP92, WRT your ? about more tech than I know  I just place the "@ in front of the handle and somehow it works.   BTW-nice looking ribs-and another opinion (just like a$$holes-we all have one:)) I would foil the sections that are exposed to the direct heat.  Big temperature difference outside the indirect shield".  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CP92
    @lousubcap appeciate the info on all fronts.  Just checked them at 4 hours and things were looking good.  Toothpick went in smoothly.  Went ahead and sauced the half slabs.  I'll try the foil next time.  As for trimming spares, I don't mind, but these came trimmed.  I kinda like having the extra for cook's treat but the price difference was just too much between the two places I priced them so trimmed it was.

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CP92
    It worked!  I thought I did it once before and it just had an @ sign in front of it.  Hell, @henapple I get 10 street cred points just for that don't I?
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CP92
    edited October 2013
    Yep, nothing wrong with that meal.  Certainly one of the reasons I wanted a BGE. Haven't had ribs that good in quite some time.

imageimage
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Those look very good!