Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking my first turkey this weekend!

Have done many a chicken on the egg but this will be my first attempt at a turkey. Just a 12 lb bird so not too big. Any tips or advice?

Comments

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Smoke mine at 325 with a chunk or 2 of pecan wood. Usually takes 15 to 20 minutes a pound for me.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I spatchcocked one last thanksgiving. 18lbs ~2.5 hours. Best turkey I ever had. Doing the same this year but using pecan wood too.

Garnerville, NY
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    robnybbq said:
    I spatchcocked one last thanksgiving. 18lbs ~2.5 hours. Best turkey I ever had. Doing the same this year but using pecan wood too.
    +1 Spatchcock that baby!
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    A family favorite. The last one was a fresh Butterball I think. It was the best ever so far. I stay away from store brands.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited October 2013
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    What Mickey said.

Garnerville, NY
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Applying a liberal coating of salt to the bird is just like brining it. It helps maintain the moisture and won't affect the taste.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Thanks for all the advice everyone. Throwing it on tomorrow. Can't wait.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    No pictures, it didn't happen X_X
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.